National Conference Wins for Hawkeye Journalists

In the world of student journalism, the national high school journalism conventions are a massive opportunity for growth, learning, and community. Hosted semiannually by the Journalism Education Association (JEA) and their partner in sponsoring the events, the National Scholastic Press Association. Nationals are an opportunity for students all across America – and even globally with a few international schools present – to connect with one another over an important passion and learn in a variety of sessions designed to improve their skills as journalists. Some may also have their outstanding achievements recognized amidst the many informative sessions available to them. This year’s spring convention, held over our spring break from April 4-6 in Kansas City, Missouri., honored several of our very own Hawkeye students journalists’ accomplishments. Students who participate in the competitions can earn three tiers of awards: honorable mention, excellent, and superior. Honorable mention awards are given to those who produce good work but still have some improvements to be made, excellent awards to students who would only need a tweak here or there to improve their submissions, and superior awards are only given out to exemplary, outstanding work.

Charli Gilchrist’s Literary magazine illustration recognized with the highest honor, the Superior award ©HAWKEYE

Sophomore Charli Gilchrist has competed in literary magazine illustration the last two years in a row. Last year they brought home an excellent award, and earned a superior award this year. For this competition, students participating had to produce a work on site within two hours based on the prompt they were given by the judges. Books were the focus of the prompt – how they made the reader feel, how they can bring the audience into their universe – and Charli described their submission, “I drew a girl holding a book open, and out of the book came sprouting a giant, magnificent cherry blossom tree with clouds rolling around, and a river running out of the book.”

Senior Seras Bryner also competed this year and received an excellent award on the series of photos she submitted for the photo story category of the competition. The photos Seras submitted were taken from the walkout held at Mountlake Terrace High School back in November from the walkout for Palestine. Seras’ goal in taking these photos in the first place was to direct attention where it was deserved. The students participating in the walkout were passionate about the cause they were holding the walkout for, and she wanted people to notice that.

However, the photos ended up being a bit controversial; vulgar terminology was written on some of posters people featured in the photo story were holding, but Seras felt it was important to include because it was the reality of what was happening.

Journalism isn’t about sugarcoating the events, it’s about broadcasting the truth.
Both students wanted to emphasize that Nationals are a fantastic opportunity for students all across America – and even globally with a few international schools present – to connect with one another over an important passion and learn in a variety of sessions designed to improve their skills as journalists. Beyond being a nerve-wracking experience for participants, these student journalists deserve due recognition for their achievements.