• WBB: The 2-1 Hawks play Bellingham, Wednesday, December 12th, in the Terraceum, Tip off is 7:15pm

• MBB: The 2-0 Hawks look to keep on rolling, Saturday, December 8th, Vs Kentlake at Highline CC, Tip of is 2pm

Filed under News, School News

Chess Club starts up at MTHS

The green numbers from the chess clock ticks away as Chess Club president and senior Tyler Grabarczyk sets up the board.

Every Tuesday and Thursday, Chess Club meets in room 112, English teacher Robert Reichle’s classroom.

According to Reichle, the club began in January, after him and Grabarczyk discussed creating after noticing MTHS was lacking.

Grabarczyk has been playing chess since he was in kindergarten, he said, but it was “on and off” until recently, when he discovered his grandfather’s glass chess set. Grabarczyk’s grandfather left it to him after he passed away.

When he first got back into chess, Grabarczyk said he wasn’t very good and would “make a lot of poor moves,” but as time has gone on, his skill level has improved.

Grabarczyk said he wins almost 80 percent of the chess matches he plays and purposely gives himself less time, about 5 minutes per match compared to the regular 15 minutes.

During a match with sophomore Samuel Bowman, there was little time spent during his “moves” and, even with one minute set originally on the clock he still had about 25 seconds left.

During the club meetings, members play against one another, testing their skill level and enjoying the game of chess.

When the club first started up, principal Greg Schwab would step in during meetings and play matches, often against Grabarczyk. Most of the time, Schwab lost.

“I felt very bad playing him,” Grabarczyk laughed.

He advises that diagonals are “[a chess player’s] best friend” and to pay attention to orthodox angles.

Anyone is free to join, Grabarczyk said and can stop by Reichle’s room during one of the meetings to play a match against either Grabarczyk or another team member.

Stephi Smith, Executive Editor

Stephi Smith is one of the co-Editors-in-Chief of the Hawkeye. Her official title is Executive Editor.

This is Stephi’s fourth year on the Hawkeye. Last year, she created a Hawkeye Snapchat account with the hopes of advancing the organization’s coverage of online and social media reporting.

Prior to serving as Editor, she was the News Editor her junior year and Copy Editor her sophomore year, as well as taking the lead on the Crime and Police beat. During her sophomore year, she attended the JEA National Convention in Washington, D.C. where she learned she wanted to be a journalist. Since then, she’s fallen in love with reporting and reported on many different kinds of stories, from School Board meetings to sexual assault on campus.

Next year, Stephi will be attending the University of Missouri with a major in Journalism. As a career, she hopes to report on either crime, government and politics or education.