May news update

A lot happens in a month. From fashion to finance, we are constantly bombarded by headlines from around the world. Here are the Hawkeye’s picks for what you need to know to be well-informed.

Edmonds School District to Cut $10.6 million in costs
(©HAWKEYE image credit: Jacqueline Rae Gonzalgo)

By Evan Kerani
The Edmonds school district was forced to cut coss for the next school year to cover a $10.6 million dollar deficit. The biggest cuts will happen to administrative positions, saving a combined $3 million dollars. The next biggest cuts go to service positions such as custodial positions, saving over $ 2 million. 5th grade band/orchestra will be cut entirely, saving $ 766,000. However, cuts were avoided elsewhere in band and orchestra, and it's also worth noting fifth grade band was already likely to be cut when the school transitions to a 6-8 middle school model. Another big savings came from eliminating student intervention coordinators at middle high schools.

New Biology curriculum for 2024-2025 school year
(©HAWKEYE image credit: Charli Gilchrist)

By Evan Kerani
The Edmonds School District is adopting a new biology curriculum for the 2024-25 school year. It was decided that a new curriculum needed to be chosen largely due to the fact the current curriculum hasn’t been updated in 20 years. The adoption of a new curriculum means that biology classes across the district will be getting new textbooks to align with the new curriculum, replacing the current ones that have been in use since the current curriculum was adopted. The new curriculum will largely have most of the same content, but will be more accessible due the fact that it is open source and the fact that learning resources are paired with the new textbooks.

Asian American Pacific Islander heritage month
(©HAWKEYE image credit: Dewey Jones)

By Terina Papatu
In 1992, May became Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) heritage month in the United States. This was a huge step forward to recognizing both people of Asian and Pasifika (Pacific Islander) descent, but throughout the years the acronym has desensitized down to East Asia. Problems arise with AAPI month because it feels that anyone who doesn’t identify as East Asian doesn’t feel included, and it’s not because East Asians made the rest of the community feel that way – it’s because the way western countries act during the month. May was chosen to honor the first immigration of Japanese Americans on May 7th of 1843 and the completion date of the transcontinental railroad, May 10, built largely by Chinese Americans.

Right-wing presidential plan with upcoming election
(©HAWKEYE image credit: Dewey Jones)

By Halle Connell
Kevin Roberts, president of the Heritage Foundation, announced a new plan for a broad coalition of Republican administrations in an attempt to reform and address the current state of the U.S. government. Project 2025 plans to have four major pillars within this project that will produce a right-winged presidential administration. These pillars are presented as; a policy agenda, personnel, training, and a 180-day playbook. “The fourth pillar of Project 2025 is our 180-day playbook and includes a comprehensive, concrete transition plan for each federal agency.” according to the official Project 2025 website. This new project is planned to be implemented next year. As stated by the website, Project 2025 is planned to come at the same time as the presidential election in 2024.