The Hawkeye May 2024

Rocket Hawks fly to state

The MTHS esports team, the Rocket Hawks, placed fourth in the Rocket League State Championships on Feb. 24.
Members Ryan Sturgill, Jesse Kilgore, Daniel Reyes, and Colin Medcroft competed in the matches. Exhibiting great teamwork to achieve their placement. After winning their first match against Silas High School, they continued on to then later lose their match against Kennedy Catholic High School. Following another loss to Seattle Prep, the team took fourth in the event.
The game that they played; Rocket League, is a video game where the players operate rocket-powered cars to play soccer in teams consisting of three people. In principle, the game seems simple, but the intricate and precise movements required to be competitive in the game make it difficult to master. Although the esports club allows other games to be played, Rocket League specifically was the focus for this event. Team members who competed have all put in hours of practice outside of school to get to the skill level they have today.
Their efforts have paid off, with two of the members currently looking at potential scholarships for their performance on the team. One of the Rocket Hawks, Sturgill, is on the varsity team for both baseball and esports. He mentioned that he had more opportunities to receive scholarships for esports than he did for baseball. He also discussed the similarities between the two.
“There’s not much difference that you can really find in them besides the physical aspect,” Sturgill said. He and other members of the team had the sentiment that esports could be an alternative to physical sports, often being cheaper and more accessible to participate.
Brandon Owings, the coach of the Rocket Hawks, elaborated on this point.
“Not everyone has access to a baseball field in their neighborhood, but almost everyone has an Xbox or something at home,” he said.
Sturgill further mentioned that just a baseball bat can be $700, not to mention the other expenses of the sport.
Owings encourages interested students to give the club a try. Building off of the accessibility of the club, he described it as a “sanctuary for a lot of students, when they don’t have anywhere else.” Esports provide a harbor for those with a competitive spirit, but it also offers a safe space for students to just have fun and enjoy playing video games.