ACLU offers Summer Advocacy Institute, applications open now

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) is on the verge of launching its Summer Advocacy Institute (SAI) program, open to students entering their junior and senior years. The week long program will be held for the first time on the campus of Georgetown University in Washington D.C.

“It was started to bring together rising seniors from across the nation to cultivate their knowledge of civil liberties through experiential learning,” Special Assistant for the ACLU Mimi Clara said. “Through demanding classroom work, debate, group discussions, projects, guest lectures, and excursions, the summer institute prepares students to be the next generation of civil liberties advocates and experts.”

The ACLU looks to utilize the program to expose participants to the issues in the world of American politics and law. With presenters having backgrounds as lobbyists, activists, journalists, lawyers and other professions, students are anticipated to become experts on activism and advocacy by the end of the program.

So far, executive director of the ACLU Anthony D. Romero, co-founder of the United We Dream Network for immigrant youth Cristina Jiménez, senior editor at EBONY magazine Jamilah Lemieux and whistleblower Edward Snowden are expected to speak at the event.

Applications for SAI opened on January 11. Applicants will need a recommendation either from a high school teacher or counselor, a 500-word (or less) essay about civil rights and a $50 application fee.