• MBB: The Hawks to host Sehome once things thaw, that is

Women’s swim comes up short against Mariner

On the final day of September, the Mountlake Terrace Women’s Swim team grappled with the dilemma of having five swimmers unable to compete due to sickness, injury, and various other obstacles preventing them from coming to the meet.

The Hawks persevered despite being the smallest swim team in the Edmonds School District. There were other schools’ cheerleaders making their presence known and two meets going on simultaneously at the pool, but the Hawks worked their best, pulling through with a score of 64-100 against opposing Mariner High School.

Annika Matthews supported the team with two first place finishes. With a second place in the 500-yard freestyle, Tori Loughe added valuable points.

Janis Trent couldn’t swim at the beginning of the season. However, through hard work and dedication, she was able to compete for the first time.  Her fellow teammates were extremely excited for her and gave words of encouragement and support. When the 50-yard freestyle began, things didn’t look so good. Immediately, everyone on the team cheered her on from the edge of the pool. After the other swimmers finished, all four teams at the pool gave motivating shouts to Janis, who was striving to finish strong. The whole room filled with screams when she made her strong finish; every team and parent moved by Janis’ bravery.

“That takes guts,” said Coach Reddecliffe proudly. At the end of the meet was the relay race where the Hawks took second place, losing by a mere 1.75 seconds.

The Hawks seek to better themselves for the next meet on Tuesday, October 7, at 2:45p.m. at Lynwood Pool against Jackson. They hope to see their peers rooting for them in the bleachers.

About the Writer
Vivian Nowka-Keane, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Vivian Nowka-Keane has been a member of the Hawkeye since her freshman year. She joined because of her passion for writing but discovered photography as well as the complexities of online journalism. After being Online Manager, she is now Co-Editor-in-Chief for the Hawkeye. As a goal for the organization, she hopes to help staff members feel more comfortable and confident as a part of the Hawkeye and improve their character and skills in all aspects. Outside of Hawkeye, Nowka-Keane enjoys taking part in the school’s STEM program where she pursues computer science.