Weekend postseason roundup: Hawks fly through early postseason competition

Football:

On Friday the Hawks held a rematch against the Stanwood Spartans against whom they fell 29-13 to in the first week of the season. The first half was dominated by the Hawks run game behind Chance Ragsdale and Malcolm Johnson, leading 24-10 going into the locker room.

Johnson would have several key carries to close out the game as the Hawks’ defense put together an impressive goal line stand and redzone stop to seal a 24-17 victory and the Hawks’ third football postseason in school history, their second in a row. Johnson had his first 100 yard rushing game for Mountlake Terrace and Ragsdale finished with another big night wit 196 yards.

The Mountlake Terrace (5-4) takes on Mountain View (8-1) in Vancouver on Saturday.

Soccer:

On a cold and rainy Saturday night, the Mountlake Terrace Hawks travelled up to face the Marysville-Getchell Chargers in their first game of the postseason.

This is double elimination tournament so if Terrace lost, they would still play another game and could still have a shot to move forward in the tournament.

The game started off with a Charger score right passed Amanda Aversano, the Hawks goalkeeper, giving the Chargers a 1-0 lead.

The Hawks would answer back with a score of their own from Lily Hart with assists from Riley Zucker & Allison Lorraine. That would tie the game at 1-1.

With 7 minutes left in the 1st half, the Chargers would sneak another goal past Aversano right in the corner of the goal. That would eventually be the winning goal.

The Hawks not surprisingly struggled on defense without senior Nikkie Fro playing do to a bruised shin. Fro could possibly play on Tuesday, but she is questionable.

“Tuesday, we will experiment with more offensive strategies in order to win that game and to prepare for the two games we would have left to make the state playoffs,” Head Coach Evan Hatch said.

Tuesday, Nov. 5 the Hawks will play Stanwood at Edmonds Stadium, 5:30 p.m.

Cross Country:

Katherine Gustafson led the charge for the Hawks at the District 1 3A championship on Saturday Nov. 2 as the team finished in second with 51 points, just 8 points behind Glacier Peak who finished with 43.

The Hawks finished with three of the top four with Ella Schroth and Sophia Nelson finishing third and fourth respectively, and Katherine Walter also coming in ninth. All four runners were underclassmen, leading the team to high hopes as they advance to the state championships in Pasco along with the boys’ cross country team who also finished in second place.

Jack Pearce and Peter Kidane finished in fifth and sixth and the Hawks had four runners in the top 15 for the boys’ race. The other top finishers were Wyatt Allemann in 11th and Nathan Sparks at 15th. The team finished with 62 points, just 14 behind Shorewood who finished first overall.

The 3A WIAA state championships are Saturday, Nov. 9 in Pasco where the boys’ and girls’ teams both maintain high chances for a state title.