Terrace performers unite

©HAWKEYE image credit: Seras Bryner
Junior trio Elio Isley, Mya Phin, and Seble Daniel perform ‘Hey Lover’ by the Daughters of Eve

When opening the doors to the MTHS Theater, expect to be greeted by many gifted students ready to perform and ‘wow’ audience members with their diverse talents. Welcome to Terrace Got Talent! A talent show run by your very own Drama Club, where any MTHS student can sign up to showcase their unique talent… the opportunities are endless! This year’s talent show has two rounds, the first consisting of 17 different acts, 9 continuing to the second round. Stakes rise in the second round, as the top three finalists will continue to the district-wide talent show!
This year’s talent show was hosted by your MCs – ‘guys with the mic’- senior Colin Fahey and junior Elliot Orange. Round 1 took place on March 1, and began at 7 PM, all the way up to 9 PM. Your three judges throughout the show were your very own staff and alumni of MTHS, Jami Wollan, Christina Lewis, and Stephanie Rios.
With 17 acts on the roster, it’s safe to say you’re in for a treat! Terrace Got Talent kept audience members entertained and engaged with the students of MTHS, and it wouldn’t have been possible without the MTHS Drama Club running this event. To support performances such as this, consider donating to the Drama Club’s current candy fundraiser. The performing arts are an important part of MTHS, and with budget cuts around the corner, donating would help support the future of the MTHS art programs and allow more events like this to be possible, so don’t be afraid to donate!
They don’t call it a “talent” show for nothing, round 1 displayed many impressive instrumental and vocal acts. Although every contestant was talented in different aspects, only 9 had a chance to make it to the second round. Many amazing acts didn’t end up being chosen for the second act. One such act, (an audience favorite) was freshman Amsalu Mitchell. This performance provided a unique twist that stuck out from the others. Mitchell performed his very own original song about making amends with an old friend titled “Change Is Everywhere.” Sophomore Abigail Fitzpatrick expressed her love of this performance, saying, “I liked the originality of it, I really did, and I liked that he had the confidence, he wasn’t afraid.” The other audience members seemed to agree, as Mitchell earned a standing ovation when he exited off stage.
Speaking of unique performances, another contender who unexpectedly didn’t make it to the top nine was sophomore Stefan Yao. Rather than vocals, Yao used words to connect with the audience as he performed an original poem he titled “Hope.” Despite technical difficulties, Yao’s performance still left the theater in thunderous applause.
Although many memorable acts didn’t make it to the top 3 there were plenty of audience favorites that did continue to act 2. Of the 9 round 1 finalists, junior Dustin Ledbetter made an impression with his solo act on the song ‘Nutshell’ by popular artist ‘Alice in Chains.’ Having only started the guitar a little over a year ago, Ledbetter certainly didn’t fail at capturing the audience with his skill. Solo acts seem to be a recurring theme throughout the show, however, not to fret! A group of radical juniors – Seble Daniel, Elio Isley, and Mya Phin – storm through round 1, performing the popular song ‘Liner’ by ‘The Cranberries.’ Many audience members deem this the best act of the night. When asked about their favorite act so far, sophomore Sylvia Turner articulated, “ The trio one, ‘Linger’ by ‘The Cranberries’ I thought that one was really good.”
There were many other round 1 winners including Quinne Sonne, Mia Smith, Lucas Barquin, Sophia Anover, Willow Killpack, Braden Ryder, and the band ‘Surprise Sandwich.’ However, the fight isn’t over, now it’s time for the round 1 winners to carry their talents over to round 2! Coming back to the MTHS theater a week after the first performances, round 2 occurred on March 1, at 7 PM. If you thought the last show was good, then buckle up because the 9 finalists have upped their skills in preparation for the chance to make it to the district-wide talent show.
Every performance was nothing short of a delight to witness. However, there could only be 3 finalists, and the decision was sure to be a tough one. With the same judges from the last performance, together they decided that the first finalist should be the classic trio of juniors: Elio Isley, Seble Daniel, and Mya Phin. For round 2, finalists were able to perform two songs, this trio decided to perform ‘Hey Lover’ by ‘The Daughters of Eve’ and ‘Copacabana’ by Barry Manilow. Taking a turn towards the classics, it’s safe to say many audience members were humming along in the crowd as this trio took to the stage. The other round 2 finalist was junior Mia Smith, who performed ‘Hopelessly Devoted To You’ from the popular film ‘Grease’ and ‘I Dreamed a Dream’ by Susan Boyle. With her powerful vocals and commendable stage presence, Mia was sure to win after overcoming round 1. The third, and final, contestant that will move on to the district-wide talent show was, unsurprisingly, your very own MTHS student-filled band ‘Surprise Sandwich!’
Although these three acts were the designated winners of round 2, audience members would beg to differ. A special award called ‘the People’s Choice Award’ was given as an audience favorite of the night. This was handed to none other than freshman Sophia Anover! After dominating round 1 with her song ‘Riptide’ on the ukulele, she didn’t disappoint when coming into round 2.
‘Terrace Got Talent’ managed to set the bar and encourage students out there to reveal their hidden talents. Giving students a chance to express themselves is why this talent show is so important, as well as other performing arts. The staff and students of MTHS hope to continue this event in the future despite the struggles your art programs have had to face. Until then, congratulations to the finalists!