• BREAKING: Coach Sood stepping down as head men's basketball coach
  • Hawks open season in their new Nest
  • OSCARS: Lily Gladstone's nomination celebrated at huge viewing party
  • Hawks WIN! Terrace 65, Garfield 54 for 4th place in 3A WIAA

The Hawkeye February 2024 issue

Hawks fall to Lions in state opener 59-54

Terrace to play next at 9 p.m. March 4 in Yakima

UPDATE: The Hawks will face the Black Hills Wolves at 9 p.m. Wednesday in the Sun Dome. The Wolves defeated Woodland 55-42 Saturday night. Black Hills is the No. 9 ranked team and the Hawks are No. 8. The winner of the game will face Clarkston High School Thursday at 9 p.m. in Yakima. The loser is out of the tournament. Students interested in attending the games in Yakima should check with the ASB office on Monday about the rooter bus that is scheduled to take fans to Yakima. More details to come…

Following Saturday’s loss to Lynden 59-54 at Mount Vernon High School in the opening round of the state 2A basketball playoffs, the Hawks will face the winner of No. 16 Woodland at No. 9 Black Hills at 9 p.m Wednesday in Yakima’s Sun Dome.

For much of Saturday’s game against the Lions, the Hawks struggled with Lynden’s post Liam Hannenburg who led all scorers in the contest with 21 points. Junior guard Jeffery Anyimah led the Hawks with 13.

The game turned dramatically in the 2nd quarter with the Hawks seemingly in control 27-18 with 5:05 remaining in the half following a series of outside shots that put Terrace ahead by their largest margin. Then the Hawks went cold from the floor and didn’t score again until the 3rd quarter.

Still, Terrace kept their hopes alive pulling within 3 points with less than a minute to go, but it wasn’t enough as the No. 1 ranked Lions proved too much for the undersized Hawks.

Woodland faces Black Hills at 6 p.m. Saturday night, Feb. 29.