• Mens Soccer's takes on Marysville-Getchell, 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 19, at Getchell HS

• Softball: The 0-2 Hawks take on the Monroe Bearcats. Tuesday, March 19. 4:00 P.M. first pitch at MTHS

• Baseball: The 1-3 Hawks return to action 4:00 p.m. March 21, vs Interlake at MTHS

Filed under Sports

Mavericks stomp Hawks

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mavericks stomp Hawks

Photo by TK Johnson

The Hawks suffered another tough 37-9 loss last night while being outmatched by both Meadowdale’s offense and defense.

The MTHS Hawks played against the Meadowdale Mavericks, which ended up as the Hawk’s fourth loss of the season.

The Hawks started off strong, moving down the field with ease. On the third play of the game, Quarterback Justin Hopkins made the brother to brother connection with Wide Receiver and twin Josh Hopkins for a 22 yard reception. This was a momentum shifting play, leading to the Hawks scoring at the end of their drive with a 22 yard field goal by kicker Michael Jenson.

At first, the Hawks defense was keeping the Mavericks at bay, but after a 22 yard pass to Tight End Charlie White, the Mavericks offense proved to be too much for the defense. Five plays later, Running Back Malik Braxton ran for a 29 yard touchdown, marking the first of many big plays during this game by Braxton.

Mountlake Terrace fought back in the 2nd quarter, aided by a 48 yard run by Running Back Jacob Wallgren. The drive ended with a 3 yard touchdown rush by new Full Back Malcolm Johnson. The PAT was missed, and left the Hawks with a score of 9.

After a 69 yard run by Meadowdale’s Running Back Braxton, giving the Mavericks a four point lead, the Hawks’ morale waivered.

Soon after getting back the ball, QB Justin Hopkins threw his first interception of the game.

The Hawks’ defense stepped up, limiting the pass game, forcing the Mavericks to punt.

However, the Maverick’s defense answered right back, keeping the Hawks’ offense from going anywhere. They then blocked the Hawks’ punt attempt, returning it for their third touchdown of the game.

For the rest of the first half, both teams failed to capitalize on their drives. Mountlake Terrace struggled down the field, whereas Meadowdale missed a field goal attempt.

The first drive of the second half ended with Running Back Braxton rushing for 29 yards, getting another touchdown for the Mavericks.

The Maverick’s defense shut down the Hawk’s offense, forcing a punt that led to Running Back Malik Braxton scoring his fourth touchdown off of an 11 yard rush.

For the rest of the night, neither team made any big plays. Meadowdale finished the game with a 30 yard field goal, prevailing over the Hawks.

The Hawks are now 2-4, with two games left in the regular season. The Hawks’ next game is against Shorecrest on Oct. 18th at Edmonds Stadium.

[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

About the Writer
Joshua Morrison, Hawkeye staff

My name is Joshua Morrison and I’m in 11th grade. I am a Hawkeye Staff Reporter, currently in my second year on the Hawkeye staff.

I cover a variety of sports throughout the year. I’m currently reporting on Football and Women's Volleyball with my partner in crime, Irvin Zhang.

I hope to attend a four year university after high school. If I don’t stay in state and go to the University of Washington, I’m aiming for some other top universities such as Cal Berkeley or the University of Wisconsin.

Unfortunately, I’m still undecided on my future career plans but I hope to find something that incorporates sports as its main focus.

Out of the entire Hawkeye organization, I have the most similarities to NBA star LeBron James. We are both ambidextrous, able to write with our left hand and play sports with our right hand. Also, we both have two NBA Championship rings and four MVP awards.

I also am an avid follower of Kanye West’s music, being especially fond of his earlier...