Running and walking to support a great cause

Runners and walkers took part in the first Mountlake Terrace 5K Fun Run/Walk on July 28. Friends, families, and neighbors gathered at MTHS at 8:30 a.m. to begin the 5K (equivalent to about 3 miles).

Part of the three day Tour de Terrace festival, the fun run/walk raised money for Cedar Way Elementary, Mountlake Terrace Elementary and Terrace Park Elementary (the three elementary schools in MLT).

172 participants ran, walked, and even one man biked through the streets of Mountlake Terrace. The route was described on the event website as “winding its way through the scenic back roads of Mountlake Terrace.”

The event had tremendous community support. Members of MTHS ASB were positioned along the route, cheering on the participants.  The Mountlake Terrace Police Department was on scene, protecting and  also cheering on the runners and walkers. Many local businesses sponsored the event, with gold sponsors being MLTnews, Red Onion Restaurant, Home Street Bank, Cascade Elite Gymnastics, Back to Action Chiropractic, Blue Flame Heating and Air Conditioning and Gabriel’s Fire Restaurant.

The participants were divided up into age groups of 10 and under, 11-16, and 17 and older.

17 and Older

Male Winner: Brendan Franz

Time: 16:47

The fastest participant in the event, Brendan Franz reaches the finish line in under 17 minutes.

Female Winner: Judy Johnston

Time: 21:59

The fastest female competitor, Judy Johnston, finishes one second before Robert Johnston (shown directly behind Judy Johnston).

11-16

Male Winner: Jack Pearce

Time: 17:52

Sporting his Terrace colors, Jack Pearce finishes in second place overall.

Female Winner: McKenna Hunt

Time: 22:27

McKenna Hunt listens to music as she finishes her 5K.

10 and Under

Male Winner:  Owen Moreland

Time: 28:09

Owen Moreland (right) and his dad, Steven (left), finish the race strong.

Female Winner: Sierra Fisher

Time: 31:35

After finishing the race, Sierra Fisher hands in her badge to race officials.

For a complete list of how each participant finished, click here to take you to the event page where you will find the “results” heading.