11th annual Scholar-Athlete Banquet

The+Edmonds+School+District+scholar-athletes+2012.+
The Edmonds School District scholar-athletes 2012.

The 11th annual Scholar-Athlete Recognition Banquet was held at Edmonds-Woodway High School on May 23rd. It is a way to acknowledge graduating senior athletes who are also outstanding students, as well as coaches and community members who support athletics. Seniors were presented with college scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $3,000 while coaches and community members each received a night’s stay at the La Connor Channel Lodge and a gift certificate to Anthony’s Home Port restaurant.

One of the Hawks honorees are Stuart Milner, who received a $3,000 scholarship from Terrace High Alumni and HomeStreet Bank. He participates in tennis, men’s swim, basketball and track and field. He is going to attend the University of Puget Sound and major in pre-medical for craniofacial surgery. Another student that was honored is Kelsey O’Neill, who received $1,250 from HomeStreet Bank. She is involved in cross country and track and field. She plans on majoring in the field of biology or medical anthropology at the University of Washington. Ben Pierson, another senior, received $1,000 from MTYAA and HomeStreet Bank. He is on the cross country team, men’s swim team and the track and field team. He plans on majoring in food and nutritional sciences at Seattle Pacific University. The final honoree is Brianne Rhodes, who also received $1,000 from Kim & Katy Wilson and Terri McMahan. She is involved in cross country and track and field. She plans on attending Edmonds Community College and majoring in early childhood education. There were 13 other scholar-athletes that were recognized from the district.

One of the coaches that was honored was the MTHS JV boys basketball coach, Greg Wirtz. The community members honored were Melissa Reid and Kellie Watson, who are both involved in the Mountlake Terrace Sports Booster Club.

The dinner was provided by event sponsors including HomeStreet Bank and Romeos of Edmonds.