2012-2013 cheer squad selected

[table “5” not found /]

The 2012-2013 cheer tryouts were held from March 22 to March 29. Participants learned a routine that was taught by previous captain, senior Taylor Jackson, and they also had to come up of their own original cheer. Candidates were evaluated based on staff evaluations, attendance and discipline records. There was an application and interview. Lastly, performance, participation and attitude were evaluated during tryouts.

One way to test the candidates’ commitment was through dress up days. Candidates needed to dress appropriately according to the theme each day and sign into any of the senior cheerleaders.

Tryouts were from 6 to 8 p.m. They performed their routines on the last day of tryouts, March 29, and were evaluated by coach Jessica Bos and the graduating senior cheerleaders.  The coach and the senior cheerleaders surprised the members of the new cheer squad and stopped by to each members’ house and congratulated them. The new squad was introduced during the spring activities assembly. The senior cheerleaders, Taylor Jackson, Maddie Flood, Taylor Reardon, April King and Natasha Sabin had their last performance at the assembly.

“I’m going to miss performing with [the cheer squad] and the bond with a group of girls that I probably won’t even have in the future and we’re always there for each other,” Reardon said. Cheer leading is a highly competitive and time consuming activity. Students have to balance their school, work, social life, and other commitments. Cheerleaders are required to attend evening events running Monday through Saturday.

During the offseason, following tryouts, all cheerleaders are required to attend practice three to five days a week through the end of July. During the summer, they are responsible to learn the cheers via DVD according to the deadlines set by the coach. There may be two practices per day to prepare two weeks prior to cheer camp. From August to November, practices are held at least three days a week. The cheerleaders support all of the sports during the fall and winter seasons.

During the winter, cheerleaders also prepare for clinic, community service and other school events. Typical hours are after school from 2:15 p.m. through 4:30 p.m. However stunting practices are impacted by space constraints and may be at alternative times.