March news update

A lot happens in a month. From fashion to finance, we are constantly bombarded by headlines from around the world. Here are the Hawkeye’s picks for what you need to know to be well-informed.

Local

©HAWKEYE image credit: Charli Gilchrist

Earthquakes in Eastern Washington

By Kimberly Nguyen

Entering the third week of January, the Edmonds School District experienced some of its lowest temperatures in years. The weekend of the 13th, Meadowdale Elementary’s pipes burst due to the freezing temperatures. At 15°F, well below freezing, the pipes bursting caused significant water damage. On January 19th, the students had a chance to retrieve materials to proceed with remote learning for some time. Staff planned to relocate on the 30th to Woodway Center, with their usual schedules, until the damages are repaired.

While accommodations are being made for all students, teachers have run into a lack of supplies due to the majority of the classrooms left flooded. Andi Nozfiger-Meadows, president of the Edmonds Education Association (EEA), sent out an email to those in the EEA. The email stated that helping provide Meadowdale Elementary teachers gift cards for Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Fred Meyers, would allow those to obtain the supplies they now need.

©HAWKEYE image credit: Charli Gilchrist

Armed Robbery at Lynnwood AMC Theater

By Kimberly Nguyen

Police responded to a phone call reporting an armed robbery around 9 p.m. at the Lynnwood AMC Theater near the Alderwood Mall on Sunday, February 4. The Lynnwood Police Department reported that the four juvenile suspects arrived in a stolen vehicle before stealing two more vehicles at gunpoint. The two stolen vehicles were later found, one unoccupied and the other with the suspects, two of whom are 14 years old. All four suspects were taken into custody and booked at Denney Juvenile Justice Center in Everett for possession of a stolen vehicle. The driver is also being charged with eluding. The Lynnwood Police Department was unable to provide any additional information about the incident because the suspects were underage.

©HAWKEYE image credit: Lucas Barquin

Edmonds School District superintendent reduces own salary

By Evan Kerani

At the last school board meeting, superintendent of the Edmonds School District Rebecaa Miner chose to voluntarily cut her own salary by 25,000 dollars a year to deal with the school district’s looming budget shortfall. The vote to cut her salary by the school board was unanimous. The school district is currently facing an almost $11 million dollar budget shortfall brought on by declining enrollment in its schools. Before the state legislature raised the amount allocated per student by $21 dollars, the budget situation was even more dire, wth the district facing over a $16 million dollar budget deficit. With the legislature now out of session, it is unlikely that more funding is coming from the legislature, meaning that budget cuts are likely for next school year.

International

United States vetoes cease-fire resolution in Israel-Hamas conflict

©HAWKEYE image credit: Charli Gilchrist

By Dewey Jones

On Tuesday, February 20, 2024, at a United Nations Security Council resolution on the Israel-Hamas war, the U.S. vetoed a vote to call an immediate ceasefire related to the release of hostages held by Hamas. Thirteen members of the council voted in favor of the ceasefire, while one abstained from voting. “A vote in favor of this draft resolution is support to the Palestinian’s right to life. Conversely, voting against it implies an endorsement of the brutal violence and collective punishment inflicted upon them,” Said Algeria’s U.N. Ambassador Amar Bendjama.
The U.S. has now vetoed three draft resolutions since October 7, 2023. U.S. Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield signaled that the U.S. would veto the resolution due to concerns that it would jeopardize talks between the US, Egypt, Israel, and Qatar, seeking to arrange a pause in the war and the release of the hostages held in the Gaza Strip. Before the vote, Thomas-Greenfield told the council, “Demanding an immediate, unconditional ceasefire without an agreement requiring Hamas to release the hostages will not bring about a durable peace. Instead, it could extend the fighting between Hamas and Israel.”
The U.S. has proposed a rival draft resolution calling for a temporary ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war and opposing a major ground offensive by its ally, Israel, in Rafah. Washington typically protects Israel from U.N. action, although it has abstained twice, allowing resolutions that gave support to Gaza or called for pauses in the fighting.

©HAWKEYE image credit: Charli Gilchrist

Fake viral video depicts flowers in Antartica

By Adam Bronson

Recently on TikTok, a video surfaced showing flowers blooming in Antarctica. This video exploded in popularity, but the image that came along with the video is photoshopped from a Greenland stock photo. The icebergs are also from Greenland, both from Disko Bugt. The photos were combined and put into a tweet and posted on X, which got posted onto TikTok, but that doesn’t mean there are no flowering plants in Antarctica. There are only two types of plants in Antarctica currently: the Antarctic Hair Grass and Antarctic Pearlwort. This doesn’t mean climate change isn’t affecting Antarctica’s plants. Because of climate change, these plants are growing at a rapid pace because of increasing water levels. It’s becoming warmer and warmer, animals are suffering, and icebergs are melting, making ocean levels rise. Readers who would like to spread awareness about this topic can donate to organizations like the Environment Defense Fund and Climate Action Fund.