The music boosters bring a new tradition to Terrace

©HAWKEYE image credit: Efrata Solomon
Mya Phin sings her heart out for the cover of the Van Halen song, “You Really Got Me,” at the Performing Arts Showcase alongside Liam Rees, Brody Rees and Mr. Faul

Mountlake Terrace students and families alike attended the Performing Arts Showcase on Thursday November 30, which was held in the MTHS band room at 7 pm and lasted till around 8:30 pm. The show consisted of 13 acts, each one showcasing a variety of talents by students, such as singing, instrumentals, and even a comedy skit. A highlight of the night was when a student band called ‘Two-Times Terrible’ performed “Bad Reputation” by Joan Jett. Equally entertaining was the opening act of the night who performed a Christmas comedy skit, acted out by seniors Colin Fahey and Braden Ryder.

Throughout the event snacks and drinks were provided in the hallway adjacent to the band room. They shined different color lighting on each act, which created a different mood and a refreshing transition. This was especially effective when the lighting was further incorporated into the performance, as was done with strobe effect.

Another Performing Arts Showcase is already on its way, set to take place sometime in February. Students can sign up by scanning a QR code posted on the various fliers around the school, or by talking to Mr. Faul, our band teacher and supervisor of the event. A nice feature of the Performing Arts Showcase is that anyone can participate, and there is no audition requirement.

The Performing Arts showcase was the kick-off event for the month-long fundraising campaign put on by the MTHS Music Boosters. Music Boosters is an organization of parents, alumni, staff and community members who work together to assist the music directors and overall music program in delivering the best possible music education to every music student at MTHS. With just 19 days left, the fundraiser has already reached the initial goal of $10,000, an amazing feat, but still much more is needed. The campaign is ongoing and available on the ‘MTHS Music Boosters’ Facebook page. Any student and teacher support will be much appreciated.