The Hawkeye February 2024 issue

Hawks soar to first round of state

Running+back+Nate+Brown+gets+tackled+by+an+opposing+defender+in+a+game+against+Jackson+H.S.+
©HAWKEYE image credit: Emmalee Harmon
Running back Nate Brown gets tackled by an opposing defender in a game against Jackson H.S.

The Hawks varsity football team made it to state for the first time in years. They finished the season with a 6-4 record. In their playoff game for state, they lost to the eventual state champions Bellevue HS 49-7. Zaveon Jones had a record setting year, having over 3,000 yards of offense total. In their first home game, they beat Snohomish HS 35-21. They jumped out with a 21-0 lead in the first half, but Snohomish was able to cut it to as little as 7 late in the third quarter. However, they were able to hold on for the win, scoring another touchdown.

The Hawks had several thrilling wins this season, including a 7-6 overtime win to end the season. In that game, the Hawks defense limited Stanwood HS to zero points in regulation, blocking a potential game winning field goal for them with just seconds left on the clock. In the first overtime period, Stanwood doinked the field goal off the post. Finally in double overtime, the Hawks won on an extra point. They set up the win for themselves by preventing a stanwood 2 point conversion in double overtime.

They finished off the regular season allowing just 114 points over 9 games, or just 12.7 points per game, while scoring 219 points in the regular season, or 24 points per game. Defensive back and junior Lex Ballard commented on the course of the season, saying “I thought the season was really successful,” adding that it was just the second time in school history that they made the state tournament. Asked on what helped make the team successful, he stated that “We had a more developed team. “A lot of the coaching staff is new, and it was just (Coach) Malloy’s third or fourth year.

The coaching staff has been working hard the past three or four years, and this is what we got.” The hawks,even if they were not successful in the playoffs, still had one of the best seasons in years. They finish with a 6-3 regular season record, compared to last year where they finished with a 5-4 record. That extra win was enough to carry them all the way to state. For a program that has not been successful often, it was a welcome change for the hawks this season.