After six exciting years, Greg Schellenberg says goodbye to Terrace

©HAWKEYE image credit: Emmalee Harmon
Principal Greg Schellenberg giving a speech at the winter assembly while senior Ryan Daly intently listens.

It is with mixed feelings that I am writing this letter for Hawkeye as a goodbye to MTHS. In truth, it is far too early for farewells and goodbyes as the majority of the 4th quarter is still in front of us. Yet, it is also true that it is not too early to plan for next school year, which is a surreal place to be.
I arrived at Mountlake Terrace in the summer of 2017. My first year I had the title of Interim Principal. Even as a school principal, one can be nervous about starting at a new school. Very quickly, I realized that MTHS is a wonderful place to be. There is this deep sense of pride at Terrace, both for what happens in the classrooms on a daily basis, and for the activities/clubs/athletic programs that students invest themselves in throughout the year.
I’ve been fortunate to be a part of this school community and lead MTHS for six school years. Those years include some incredible memories of students performing their best when it mattered. They include countless classroom visits where teacher/students relationships are positive, strong, and engaged in the task at hand. Also included are the COVID years with remote, hybrid learning challenges. As we continue to climb out of that COVID period of time, one Terrace characteristic rings true now more than ever – Terrace people look out for Terrace people. There is more support, understanding and encouragement here (student to student/staff to student) than anywhere I’ve been before – and that is a hallmark of Terrace that will endure.
MTHS will always have a special place in my heart and memories. I look forward to hear about all of the amazing things that MTHS will be doing in the coming years. Thank you for the six wonderful years!
GO HAWKS!