Hawks one win away from second straight state berth

Hawks v. Shorewood 4 p.m. Tuesday at Funko Field
The Hawks applaud senior RHP Tyler Song who earned the 6-1 victory over the No. 1 seeded Snohomish Panthers on Saturday.

Two times the Hawks baseball team faced elimination. Two times they prevailed – only to be rewarded with having to face the No. 1 seed in the entire District 1 3A tournament – Snohomish.

It didn’t matter.

The Hawks are on a mission and a 6-game winning streak having dispensed with the Snohomish Panthers 6-1 on their historic field on Saturday. Senior RHP Tyler Song went 5-1/3 strong innings before handing the ball to junior RHP Braeden Swan who shut the door and quieted the stunned crowd at Snohomish High School.

That win propelled the Hawks into a semi-final face-off with the Stormrays of Shorewood with whom the Hawks split the regular season series. That game is slated for 4 p.m. Tuesday, May 9 at Funko Field at Everett Memorial Stadium. Tickets are available for purchase online.

Snohomish took an early 1-0 lead off a Brendan McKinley single and looked comfortable heading into the top of the 3rd inning where the Hawks couldn’t get any baserunner across the plate. But, in the 4th inning, junior RF Tyler Shankle fired a hard hit ball on a 3-2 count that scored the tying run and the teams were knotted at 1 apiece. The Hawks would take the lead in the 5th 2-1, but it was the 6th inning where the Hawks finally broke through – all with 2 outs. Senior Rominic Quiban, in his first game back after a wrist injury, singled as did 3B Bede Bresee. 2B Riley Norton doubled and the crooked inning turned into a 4-spot for Terrace and they never looked back.

Tyler Song earned the win allowing the one earned run, walking just one and striking out 7 Panther batters.

Hawks 8 @ Shorecrest 0 | Thursday, May 4, 2023

Terrace broke open a tight game in the top of the 3rd when they put 6 runs on the board with multiple hits. That cushion plus two more runs in the top of the 4th was more than enough for starting pitcher junior Dayton Nicholson who nearly had a no-hitter until a bloop single broke it up in the bottom of the 6th inning. Braeden Swan came on to finish off the Scots in the 7th.

Hawks 2, Marysville-Getchell 1 | Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Senior RHP Tyler Song threw a complete game giving up 6 hits, 0 ER and striking out 7 while walking just 1 Charger. The game featured excellent pitching by MV-G’s Ethan Jurry, too, who took the loss in this round one, loser out game at MTHS.