Twilight Track

Shorewood ran past the other high schools at the Terrace Twilight track and field meet on Apr. 16. It was a fundraising event for MTHS track and field held at Edmonds Stadium.

Shorewood’s boys and girls scored an astonishing 251 points for the men’s team, and 180 points for the women’s team. In addition to MTHS and Shorewood, other schools included: Monroe, Anacortes, Franklin, Bellevue, and Bishop Blanchet in this event.

On the women’s side, MTHS came in third with 89 points, and for the men, MTHS hurdled their way to second with 173 points.

“Track is like an army, honestly, I’d rather be sleeping at home right now, but you learn a lot of life lessons in track. Sometimes, you don’t feel like doing anything, but you just have to suck it up. I have to come here to win because I have my team to support me,” Merriam Mboya from Shorewood said, who has been doing track for seven years, and won the women’s 100 meter.

Terrace had a handful of standout performers. Justin Frazier, a junior, lost in the men’s 1600 meter run with a hundredth of second difference; 4:49:99 compared to the first place time of 4:49:98. Jared Dick placed second in the men’s 400 meter dash with 54:18.

Nina Penner won the women’s 400 meter dash, with 1:03:85. Courtney Hammer placed second in the women’s 300 meter hurdles with 53:77.
MTHS also won the men’s 4 by 400 meter relay with a time of 3:40:38 but they placed in second. Colette Delizo came in second in the women’s discus throw with 76 feet and 6 inches. Johnny Cortedano won the men’s shot put with the distance of 47 feet and 10.5 inches. Zach Spear came in second in men’s discus throw with 123 feet and 5 inches. Bobby Tameru came in second in men’s triple jump with 37 feet and 7 inches. Finally, Hunter Rook won the men’s pole vault with a height of 11 feet.