Women’s Basketball knock off Mariner 51-25, improve to 2-1 overall

By Gavin Norley, Audio-Visual Editor

The Hawks got their second win of the season and highest win differential this past Thursday at the Terraceum against the Mariner Marauders 51-25. Terrace got off to a slow start in the first quarter with Mariner leading 12-6. After that quarter though, the Hawks lit up the scoreboard dropping 17 points in the second quarter.

The Hawks put on a show offensively with the likes of junior guard, Kierra Scott putting up 21 points and sophomore point guard Kaiya Beavin putting up 13 points.

Not only did Terrace find their groove scoring, they also played stellar defense allowing Mariner to only score 13 points for the rest of the game. Sophomore forward Grace Kane said that “getting those blocks with no fouls was key to our defense and defense is key first.”

The Hawks were not being led by head coach Mike Jones but instead by the duo of assistant coaches Andrew Young and Sarah Van Wieringen. 

“Getting a victory tonight is exactly what this program needed. This marks the first time in a long time that this program has swept another program,” Wieringen said. “After we realized in the first quarter what we weren’t doing efficiently, we identified what we needed to do and we experimented with the bench a lot more and it brought out the best in all of our players.”

The Hawks will no doubt be looking to continue the hot streak at home against the Bellingham Red Raiders on December 12. Tip off is at 7:15 p.m.

About the Writer
Gavin Norley, Audio-Visual Editor
Gavin Norley is the Audio/Video Editor for the Hawkeye. He is a senior in his third year with the program. He hopes to create a network of audio and video stories for students to work on long after he graduates. In his spare time Gavin enjoys hanging out with his friends, making movies and watching sports.