Women swimmers close season on a strong note

Hunter Goncalves and Riley Morgan represented MTHS in the 3A state swim meet this past weekend on Nov. 12-13. The meet was held at the King County Aquatic Center in Federal Way.

Morgan, a sophomore, qualified for the 50-meter freestyle and the 100-meter butterfly with strong performances in the district meet.

Each event featured 24 varsity women and the majority of them were upperclassmen. Morgan held her own in a deep field of swimmers.

“For the 50 free, it wasn’t my fastest but it was close to it. For the 100 fly, I would say I did pretty good. I was really tired out by the 50 free,” Morgan said.

In the preliminary on Friday night, Morgan finished 24th in the 50-meter freestyle with a time of 26.77. Later in the night, she finished 22nd in the 100-meter butterfly with a time of 1:06:78.

Although she did not reach the final night of the state meet, she is determined to make a return to state next year.

“I expect to qualify for state next year. I’m going to work my butt off and I hope more people qualify for state next year,” Morgan said.

Goncalves, a junior, was one of the top swimmers on last year’s Terrace team. She stepped up her role this year as the captain and made it to state in the 200-meter freestyle and 500-meter freestyle. Goncalves was excited to compete against the top swimmers in the state.

“It was nice to be surrounded by people who work hard. Not counting last year, Terrace hasn’t had someone at state in a while, so that was cool,” she said.

In the 200-meter freestyle, Goncalves finished 17th with a time of 2:05.20. However, later in the evening, she rose to the occasion in the 500-meter freestyle preliminaries and found herself in the top half of the field.

Her 10th place finish allowed her to move on to the final night of the state meet.

There, Goncalves finished 10th with a time of 5:20.27, more than two seconds faster than her time in the preliminaries.