Hawks volleyball beat Scots in a 4 set game, improve to 4-9

On Senior Night, the Mountlake Terrace Hawks had a successful performance beating the Shorecrest Scots in 4 sets on Thursday, Oct. 19. The back to back wins improves their record to 4-9 on the season and 3-8 in Wesco play with the last game of the season away at Marysville-Getchell High School.

Terrace lost a close first set against the Scots 25-20. Senior outside hitter Candace Disney made an amazing save with her foot during the first set. The Hawks put up a valiant fight but they came up short of a win for the first set.

Terrace won the second set 25-15. Before the timeout, Disney serves an ace making the lead 17-11. Shorecrest takes a timeout 19-12. Senior middle blocker Lacey Walburg with a kill extends the lead to 22-15. Three serves later, the Hawks won the second set. The Scots couldn’t hold on to the lead as the Hawks tied the match at one set a piece.

The Hawks won a close third set 25-21. A kill by Disney scored the first point of the set. The Hawks and the Scots were tied  7-7 and both showed that they weren’t going down without a fight. A block by senior Sophie Parsons regained the lead for the Hawks 11-10. A spike by Parsons extended the Hawks lead 21-19.

The Hawks won in the fourth and final set of the match with a score of 25-14. A block by senior middle blocker Zoe Goodmansen gave the Hawks a 3-1 lead. An ace by junior outside hitter Karly Rismoen gave the Hawks the lead 8-4. The Hawks extend the lead to 16-7 with an ace from senior Madison Grush.

“The key players [were Sophie], Zoe and Kaylee,” Coach Rene Noeun said.

Parsons and Goodmansen are both seniors and have been playing for the Hawks since they were both freshmen and this was an exceptional last regular season home game for them.

The Hawks qualified for 2A districts which is from October 31 to November 4 at Lynden High school or Sammamish High School.