Hawks win 4-3 in a tough match-up against Wildcats

The Mountlake Terrace Hawks and the Oak Harbor Wildcats battled on Oct. 20 in a nail-biting overtime matchup. The Hawks emerged victorious, defeating the Wildcats 4-3. Terrace ended the regular season on a high note and clinched a spot in the 2A District playoffs.

Tuesday night’s matchup showed a display of late game heroics by Terrace senior forwards Isa Kembel and Julia Hart. With the Wildcats leading the Hawks 3-2 late in the game, Kembel scored a game tying goal to send the game to overtime. With the season potentially on the line, Hart didn’t crack under pressure and scored the game winning goal in overtime. The winning goal was assisted by junior midfielder Abbi Johnson after she trapped a Oak Harbor goal kick.

“The only thing I was thinking was getting the ball in the net and I did,” Hart explained.

Hart and Kembel both scored two goals each and recorded an assist to help lead the Hawks to victory.

The Hawks finished the regular season off strong, going 2-1-1 in their final four games of the regular season. The late season success by the Hawks allowed Terrace to squeeze into the district playoffs.

As the No. 11 seed, the Hawks look to ride this momentum into their loser-out district game against No. 6 seed Sedro-Woolley. The elimination playoff game will be on Oct. 26 at 7 p.m. at Sedro-Woolley High School. If the Hawks win, they’ll play the No. 3 seed Cedarcrest Red Wolves.

You can keep up with the Hawk’s journey to the 2A State tournament with this link of the District 2A playoff bracket, which can be found here.