Hawks Cross Country faces off against tough 4A schools

©HAWKEYE image credit: Sarah Davis
The Mens Team warms up before the race.

The Mountlake Terrace Hawks proved their strength in a battle against 4A schools Jackson, Mt. Vernon and Kamiak High School on Thursday, Sept. 14. With Jackson coming out on top for the Men’s with a team score of 21, the Mountlake Terrace Men follow in second with a score of 51.

The Hawks top runner junior Jaden Lofrese came in second in the 2.75 mile race with a time of 14:43, followed by sophomore Alex Williams in 10th place with a time of 15:23.

“5 of our top runners [were] in the top 20 out of 127 kids. As long as we keep pushing from here we’ll have a good end of the season,” senior captain Josh Ernst said.

Those top 5 runners include Jaden Lofrese (14:43), Alex Williams (15:23), Ivan Moulton (15:25), Josh Ernst (15:36) and Kendall Yackley (15:44).

The Mountlake Terrace Women didn’t fare as well, finishing in last place with a score of 66. They were only 2 points away from Kamiak however, who came in 3rd.

In an interview with the Hawks Lady runners, senior Sandra Hart says, “It’s not just about the running it’s about the bonding. We build a lot of fun memories together.”

With only 9 girls on their roster the Lady Hawks did well individually with 4 of their runners finishing in the top 20.

Their top 4 runners included Joan Park (18:17), Megan Williams (18:53), Marika Jamtaas (19:02), and Sandra Hart (19:43).

Their next meet is Wednesday, Sept. 20 at Hamlin Park at 3:45 a.m.