• Main office to reopen Aug. 8; counseling and ASB offices reopen Aug. 21

• Schedules for 2018-2019 school year available on Skyward on Aug. 24 at 4 p.m.

• Back to school Hawk Walk on Aug. 29 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Hawks Cross Country faces off against tough 4A schools

The Mens Team warms up before the race.

The Mens Team warms up before the race.

Sarah Davis

Sarah Davis

The Mens Team warms up before the race.

By Kennedy Cooper and Sarah Davis

Lindee Cutler finishing the 2.75 mile race.

The Mountlake Terrace Hawks proved their strength in a battle against 4A schools Jackson, Mt. Vernon and Kamiak High School on Thursday, Sept. 14. With Jackson coming out on top for the Men’s with a team score of 21, the Mountlake Terrace Men follow in second with a score of 51.

The Hawks top runner junior Jaden Lofrese came in second in the 2.75 mile race with a time of 14:43, followed by sophomore Alex Williams in 10th place with a time of 15:23.

“5 of our top runners [were] in the top 20 out of 127 kids. As long as we keep pushing from here we’ll have a good end of the season,” senior captain Josh Ernst said.

Those top 5 runners include Jaden Lofrese (14:43), Alex Williams (15:23), Ivan Moulton (15:25), Josh Ernst (15:36) and Kendall Yackley (15:44).

The Mountlake Terrace Women didn’t fare as well, finishing in last place with a score of 66. They were only 2 points away from Kamiak however, who came in 3rd.

In an interview with the Hawks Lady runners, senior Sandra Hart says, “It’s not just about the running it’s about the bonding. We build a lot of fun memories together.”

With only 9 girls on their roster the Lady Hawks did well individually with 4 of their runners finishing in the top 20.

Their top 4 runners included Joan Park (18:17), Megan Williams (18:53), Marika Jamtaas (19:02), and Sandra Hart (19:43).

Their next meet is Wednesday, Sept. 20 at Hamlin Park at 3:45 a.m.

About the Writers
Kennedy Cooper, Sports Co-Editor
Kennedy Cooper, a junior and a second year staff member, is the Sports Co-Editor for the Hawkeye. This year she hopes to accurately and efficiently cover all sports available at MTHS. Outside of the organization, she plays select softball and is a music enthusiast.
Sarah Davis, Sports Co-Editor
Sarah Davis is a junior at MTHS, and this is her second year on staff. She is the Sports Co-Editor this year and her main focus is to work with the other Sports Co-Editor, Kennedy Cooper, to get the most wide range of sports coverage as possible and keep everyone up to date on everything...