Hawks come up short against WesCo leading Grizzlies

©HAWKEYE image credit: Jack Fiorillo
The Hawks lose the game 33-43 to the Glacier Peak Grizzles.

Looking to carry the momentum from snapping their five game losing streak against the Lake Stevens Vikings, the Hawks faced off against the 9-2 Grizzlies, but through a scoreless third quarter and multiple other setbacks, the Hawks were defeated 33-43.

Coming into this game, the Grizzlies were undefeated in Wesco with a record of 5-0, 9-2 overall and sat atop the Wesco 3A South division. With that said, the 3-7 Hawks were the clear underdogs, yet didn’t play like it for much of the game.

The Grizzlies started the game off hot, scoring points in a hurry, but as the first quarter progressed, the Hawks defense helped force their way back into the game, setting the tone for the majority of this game.

The second quarter was more of the same; the Hawks defense was able to hold them close but the Grizzlies offense proved to be that much more potent than that of the Hawks. The Hawks were down 22-27 at the half, but were able to end the quarter on a good note with three free throws from Gabe Altenberger and were looking to carry momentum and cut the gap in the second half.

The third quarter was a quarter all about defense. Only three total points were scored, all by the Grizzlies. Hawks’ junior forward Shimron Masih and the Grizzlies’ senior post Brady Southard had a defensive battle both racking up blocks and contesting every possible shot.

“I was really impressed by Shimron [Masih] in the middle.” Coach Nalin Sood said, “He’s been working on it. He had a very focused approach to being a presence in the middle so there are some things to take from it.”

Although the Hawks’ defense was superb in the third quarter, the quarter was one to forget. Near the end of the third quarter, junior forward Derek Anyimah, the Hawks’ leading scorer, went up for a layup and came down on his leg with a loud impact. He was down on the ground, grimacing in pain for minutes before the trainers were able to get on the court to help him.

It is unclear what the diagnosed injury is but coach Sood isn’t deterred.

“I’m going to speculate that he’ll be here ready to go tomorrow.” Sood said, “If it’s foul trouble, if it’s academics, if it’s one thing or another, it’s just next man up. The next guy will get an opportunity and that’s all we can do about it. [Anyimah] is a tough guy though.”

The Hawks didn’t have enough offensive firepower and ended up losing the game, 33-43, and move to a record of 3-7 overall.

Sood said, “I give the guys a high mark for fighting, but [as for] offensive execution and just getting the ball in the hole, we still have a ways to go.”

The Hawks will play their next game at Shorecrest against the Scots (1-2 Wesco, 5-5 overall) next Friday at 7:15 pm.