Women’s Hawks Swim falls to Edmonds-Woodway 57-108

The Mountlake Terrace Women’s Swim team faced Edmonds-Woodway (a school known for its abundance of athletes in all sports), the largest team of the four groups competing on the fourteenth of October.

The final score of 57-108 fails to show how great the women actually competed. The fact that Edmonds-Woodway has a lot more swimmers give them the advantage of more finishers, meaning they get more places, which mean more points. This also allows for swimmers to focus more on individual events, while the Hawks are forced to compete in several events in one competition.

In the 200 yard freestyle, junior Victoria Loughe finished behind third place by a mere 1.45 seconds. Sophomore Annika Matthews finished in first place in the 50 yard freestyle with a striking time of 26.78, and also completed 100 yard backstroke at 1:06.32 in first place, qualifying for the district . Furthermore, Matthews achieved the time of 1:13.67 in the 100 yard butterfly, following the swimmer ahead by a mere .23 seconds.

The relay team, made up of seniors Daria Jamataas, Tori Loughe, junior Hailee Malins, and freshman Emily Webb, landed fourth place in the 200 yard freestyle relay, over ten seconds ahead of the team behind them.

Their next meet will be Thursday, October 16th against the Lynnwood Royals at the Lynnwood Pool.