Fall sports wrap up

Football

The football team is in a position to head to the postseason for the second straight season. A win over Lynnwood, as well as an Everett loss this week, should be enough.

The team has competed well throughout the season on its way to a 5-3 record with one game remaining. As of late, the team has improved coming close in a loss to Glacier Peak, the No. 9 team in the state, a shutout win over Shorewood and a homecoming victory over Everett.

On the offensive side of the ball, quarterback Hunter Rook and running back Devante Downs have led the offense. The offensive line, one of the team’s strengths, has provided time and space for the offense to work with.On defense, linebacker Mitch Haldane has been one of the league leaders in tackles. Overall, the aggressive defense has been able to put pressure on opposing teams all year long.

Women’s Soccer

The women’s soccer team (3-11 overall, 3-9 WesCo 3A) is still in contention for a trip to the 3A district playoffs. They currently are hanging on to the sixth and final spot, trying to stave off Lynnwood and Oak Harbor, who they have defeated twice this season.

The team is led by sophomore forward Erin Russell, who has amassed a total of seven goals. Aside from Russell, the offensive attack has been limited at times. On the defensive side of the ball, sophomore goalkeeper Takara Mitsui has three shutouts, all resulting in Terrace victories.

Mountlake Terrace faces off against Meadowdale on Wednesday, Oct. 27 at 7:30 p.m. at Edmonds Stadium. A win over Meadowdale or a Lynnwood loss would extend the team’s season into the district playoffs.

Volleyball

Heading into the final week of the season, the volleyball team is not in a position they would like to be in. Although the team has played with energy, excitement and enthusiasm at times this year, they currently sit at the bottom of the standings. The team started the season on the right foot, but once league play began, wins were harder to come by. In early October, the team defeated Shorecrest for its first Wesco 3A win of the season. From that point on, the team has been winless.

Despite the struggles, seniors Cristine Lotz and Liana Samuelson led the team all year. Even though the team won’t be playing in the postseason, next year’s team looks to have a strong core. Juniors Leah Lechtenberg and Soleil Boileau were active this year and should have a bigger role next year.

Cross Country

The cross country team has had an impressive season thus far. At the WesCo 3A Championships on Oct. 23, the men finished seventh out of eight WesCo teams, while the women finished fourth out of the eight teams. A few breakout performers have emerged as well.

On the men’s side, freshman Jack Pearce has been one of the top runners all season long in WesCo. Pearce finished in 11th place with a time of 17:13 in the WesCo 3A championships in Lakewood. At the Edmonds School District Championships, Pearce finished in fifth place.

On the women’s side, junior Nina Penner has led the way. At the WesCo Championships, she took 17th place with a time of 20:53, and at the Edmonds School District Championships, Penner finished in second place with a time of 18:45.

Cross country has a meet this Saturday at the Northwest District Championships at South Whidbey H.S. The top three teams and top 15 individuals runners will advance to the WIAA 3A State Championships.

Women’s Swimming

The women’s swimming team has had a rocky season, winning only one meet overall. However, individual performances by junior Hunter Goncalves and sophomore Riley Morgan have been the bright spots on the squad.

Goncalves, a captain, won her race in the 500 meter freestyle on Oct. 21 against Kamiak with a time of 5:26.69. In the same meet, Morgan won her race in the 50 meter freestyle with a time of 26.58.

The swim team’s season is nearly over as it is heading into the last few weeks. On Friday, Oct. 29, the JV championship meet takes place at Shoreline Pool, beginning at 3:30 p.m.

For top qualifiers, the district meet begins Nov. 5 in Anacortes and the state meet takes place Nov. 11 in Federal Way.

Men’s Tennis

Before the season even began, the men’s tennis team knew that winning matches would be no easy feat. The young and inexperienced team with no seniors on the roster struggled to play consistently throughout the season. Finally, the team began to gain some positive momentum toward the end of the season.

Juniors John Kim and Stuart Milner took seventh place in the WesCo 3A playoffs last Wednesday at Jackson H.S. However, the doubles pair just missed out on a berth to the district tournament, as only the top six pairs advance. Their accomplishment was one of a few bright spots in the team’s season.

Although the team as a whole did not win a match the entire season, there is reason for optimism. A multitude of underclassmen who gained valuable experience this year competing against older opponents will be much improved heading into next year, as long as they all return.