A cold night for meet-cutes, almost

©HAWKEYE image credit: Seras Bryner
Senior Colin Fahey and Junior Mia Smith portray a couple on a troubled anniversary date in the scene ‘Where it Went.’

Life is full of adventure, trying to find your way, figuring out who you are, who you want to be, and looking for (and hopefully finding) love. Which is what “Almost Maine” is about, finding love, a safe place, who you want to be, and above all else, the relationships, trials and tribulations, and love between characters. In “Almost Maine,” we see love blossom from strangers, to long time friends, and even across the LGBTQIA+ spectrum. Love shows itself in many different ways for many different people throughout the show, broadening the audience’s points of view throughout a fun and wacky story.

“Almost Maine” is a play that takes place in a town not on any map. It’s not in Maine, it’s not in anything, it’s just “Almost.” This is explained in scene one ‘Her Heart’ by the character East portrayed by senior Colin Fahey. East helps Glory depicted by junior Elio Isley, talk with her dead husband. This is one of the many funny, heart touching scenes in the two acts the play consisted of. Including eleven scenes with an intermission. Attending the show, it feels as if you have been sent to Maine — well, almost.

©HAWKEYE image credit: Seras Bryner
Junior Mia Smith (Rhonda) fails to see the bigger picture in freshman Adam Bronson’s (Dave) painting as a romantic gift for her.

The play starts with a prologue where a boy named Pete (portrayed by sophomore Tate Haney) and a girl Ginette (sophomore Charli Gilchrist) sit on a bench and agree they love each other, but are they as close as people can be? Ginette is told by Pete that if she goes one way until she is all the way around the world they would be closer, so she walks that way. This scene progresses with updates throughout the play. During the interlogue, and lastly the epilogue, where they reunite by Ginette tiredly crawling towards Pete.
While some scenes were shorter than others, they all managed to impact audience members all managed to impact audience members. Some make you laugh, some even leave you misty eyed, and some leave your head swirling with questions. From the fantastic sets built through teamwork, to catered lighting that immersed viewers, “Almost, Maine” was a thrilling, emotional, and funny two act play.
How did they even put on the play in the first place? Well, it’s all thanks to the directors, techs and the actors. Let’s also take a look behind the scenes. Many individuals don’t have respect for theater or the arts. Drama club spends months preparing for shows, Drama club spends months preparing for shows, just to give a wonderful,awe inspiring performance. Studentsmay enjoy putting on productions, but technicians, directors, and actors all put their hard work into “Almost Maine.”

©HAWKEYE image credit: Seras Bryner
Junior Elio Isley (Sam) “explodes” into confetti after his character is accepted by their friend Casey played by sophomore Adelaide St. John.

The year has been especially difficult for the Drama department, as last year’s district wide budget shortfall cut the only technical theater class held at MTHS. These cuts to the Drama department were a big loss, but with the hard work and commitment of Theater students, volunteers, and directors,they still managed to produce an excellent play.

“The techs who moved the sets stayed long hours even during school to see through that the play went well” Said sophomore and projection runner Cenai Kidane.

The Drama department is always going out of their way to make their productions spectacular.
Sophomore actor Tate Haney, who played Pete and Jimmy in “Almost Maine,” described his experience in the play as great. “The play was a lot of fun. It took a lot of time and practice. It was hard; we had trouble because it was the first time we did a play without a tech theater class but we persevered”

Director Jeannie Brzovic, assistant directors Gwendolyn Granum and Vincent Orduna, stage manager Lily McKnight, assistant stage manager Max Erikson, light board operator Kristy Trochez Batiz, and soundboard operator Marek Welch all contributed to the show. The prop crew included Pluto Bunch, Vivienne Seras, Eli Cram, sound tech Micah Bryner, deck crew Alex Smith, Adrian Knowlton, Kenzie Rolstad, Aster O’Neill, projection operator Cenai Kidane, house manager Sabin Metallo, and the volunteer ushers who worked the night.

This play was well received during its run earlier this month. The next production is the musical “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” that will run at the end of May and the start of June.

“Almost Maine” Cast & Crew

NameRole
Mia SmithRhonda/Marci
Adam BronsonDave
Brayden Ryder/
Mason Cook
Randy
Tate HaneyPete/Jimmy
Charli GilchristGinette/Hope
Elio IsleyGlory/Sam
Lucas BarquinSteve/Chad
Seble DanielMarvalyn/Gayle
Adelaide St. JohnSandrine/Casey
Maddie KeatingWaitress
Elliott OrangeLendall/Man
Collin FaheyEast/Phil
Lily McKnightStage manager
Max EriksonAsst stage mngr
Kristy Trochez BatizLightboard op
Marek WelchSoundboard op
Micah BrynerSound technician
Alex Smith, Adrian Knowlton, Kenzie Rolstad, Aster O'neillDeck crew
Gertrude BlateschmerePuppetmaster
Pluto Bunch, Vivienne Seras, Eli CramProp crew
Cenai KidaneProjection op
Sabin MetalloHouse manager