New “Mean Girls” movie

20 years after the Original
©HAWKEYE image credit: Courtesy of Paramount Pictures

A new era of the Mean Girls saga was introduced in theaters across America on January 12, 2024. Written by Tina Fey, this comedy is an adaptation of the hit Broadway musical, which was inspired by the original 2004 classic. The plot stayed relatively true to the original, with only some minor changes. The movie lasted an hour and 58 minutes, with a rating of PG-13, its target demographic aimed towards teenagers and young adults. The cost for an adult ticket being $14.99 and a child ticket $11.99.

With actor Angourie Rice starring as Cady Heron, this student moves all the way from Africa to take on a new challenge, highschool. Quickly becoming friends with Janis played by Auli’i Cravalho and Damian played by Jaquel Spivey. Cady ends up falling into the clutches of “The Plastics” otherwise known as Regina George played by Renee Rapp and her minions Gretchen played by Bebe Wood and Karen played by Avantika Vandanapu. Will she be able to survive the turmoil of Highschool?

With 20-year fans of the original, people came into theaters with high hopes of a remake that did the original justice. However, there were a lot of mixed reviews on the new Mean Girls movie, with the official IMDb rating being a 6.3/10 or 70% rotten tomatoes. Many user reviews called it “a swing and a miss,” commenting that the execution was poor and the movie was overall low-budget. One user under the name ryanpersaud-59415 commented, “The more I think about this movie, the less I like it. A poor imitation of the classic.”

The new Mean Girls movie, however, was not only bad reviews. Many say that although it was not as good as the original, the musical numbers were a must-see and the in depth rendition of the characters added a lot to the story. A user named jdrendinell10 commented, “as far as a “reboot” or “remake” goes, I don’t think you could ask for much better than this.” Many fans were impressed by the casting, highlighting Renee Rapp as the “true” Regina George due to her impressive acting and musical numbers.