UPDATE: Bond, levy passing in early returns

Edmonds School District voters are overwhelmingly approving a $594 million construction bond and a four-year $120 million technology levy

NOTE: These results have been updated as of 9 a.m. Thurs. Feb. 15.

Voters in the Edmonds School District are approving a major school bond and technology levy according to initial returns released by the Snohomish County Elections Office. Both Proposition 1, a $594 million construction bond, and Proposition 2, a four-year, $120 million technology levy, are currently passing by a margin of 65% to 35% – a shift in the past 24 hours of 1% more approving. Additional returns will be updated regularly until the vote is certified on Feb. 23.

Here are the initial results as of late Wednesday night:

Proposition No. 1 – $594 million construction bond –

• YES – 22,462 (65.29%)
  • NO – 11,942 (33.71%)
  • TOTAL VOTES – 34,404 (37 overvotes and 91 undervotes)

Proposition No. 2 – $120 million four-year technology levy –

• YES – 22,362 (65.09%)
  • NO – 11,992 (34.91%)
  • TOTAL VOTES – 34,354 (22 overvotes and 156 undervotes)

Proposition No. 1 would fund the completion of Oak Heights Elementary and replace the district’s 2021 Capital Levy. The bond measure would also replace College Place Middle and College Place Elementary, construct a fifth middle school at the former Alderwood Middle School location, replace Westgate Elementary, and incorporate other bond renewal and upgrade projects.

The proposition also includes moving the district’s 6th graders to middle school, so that students would have a wider range of course offerings as well as access to lab science. The transition would coincide with completing all middle school construction for the start of the 2028-29 school year.

Proposition No. 2 is a capital levy that would fund a combination of student technology supplies including Chromebooks, pay for professional training and development for instructors, and upgrade the district’s network infrastructure.