The generation that ‘doesn’t want to work’

©HAWKEYE image credit: Charli Gilchrist

Is Gen Z becoming lazy? Some sources suggest that they are but others do not. Boomers seem to be out of touch with the modern world, while Gen X seems to be forgotten. Millennials are self-entitled and Gen Z is lazy. The four generations are working together but also against each other at the same time.
The reels on TikTok and Instagram show frustrated Gen Z-ers complaining about many different things like not getting enough money, working too many hours, not having enough freedom in the workspace, being sleep deprived, and just generally hating their job and not wanting to work. It’s especially evident in the medical, business, teaching, and engineering fields. There are multiple podcasts and videos of Gen Z workers portraying their frustration. Some workers even form unions to strike against their workforce, which they’re praised for!
With more people on social media platforms every day, the older generations see and assume instead of investigating. This is how the “Gen Z being lazy” and other stereotypes rose for other generations. Your grandparents and parents have probably told you that: “Back in my day, we had shed our blood, sweat, and tears to make a living. We never complained, despite the difficult burdens.” Older generations don’t understand how difficult living is now because they’re set on this perspective: to never complain.
While these stereotypes of these generations apply to some people, they don’t necessarily apply to all people in the generations. We all know that stereotypes are harmful to people and their communities, and all of these stereotypes are hurting the generations, especially Gen Z.
With inflated house, gas, and food prices, the list goes on and on–some salaries for jobs aren’t enough to support a Gen Z person, let alone a family. It’s so expensive to buy a house or rent an apartment. It’s even expensive to buy a “cheap” meal or water! So many people in Gen Z can’t afford to buy anything anymore because everything is so expensive!
A study also shows that 98% of Gen Zers are feeling work burnout and overworked. Gen Z is changing hustle culture but in a good way. Unlike the many millennials before them who had to work their corporate jobs, climb up the work ladder, and get burnt out in the process, Gen Z is trying to change hustle culture so that they can do something they’re passionate about while preserving their mental health and sanity.
One problem with people in our generation is doing something that we dislike and have no passion for. Many young people feel pressured by their parents or others to get a well-paying job. These jobs include doctor, lawyer, engineer, nurse, and many others. They force themselves to enjoy it because of salaries. Even the highly-paid jobs aren’t enough to make a living.
But a problem with doing what others want you to do is that you don’t think about yourself and what you like. Instead, you’re stuck with a job that you hate. Many Gen Z-ers are realizing this and instead work a job that they are happy doing.
Many of their parents, –Gen X or Millennials– may say that they have become lazy and not pursue a stable job but Gen Z-ers are so much happier with doing just what they want and love. If you want to be an artist, then be an artist! Don’t let your parents’ expectations get in the way of your passions. Do what makes YOU happy, and take care of yourself too.
Mental health has also a big role in Gen Z changing the workplace. Being happy and mentally stable is very important because if you are not happy, you won’t have the motivation to do anything. Perhaps the older generations are not seeing lazy, but unhappy and discontented. Mental health is considered nonexistent in older generations, but it’s a necessity in Gen Z.
Many will argue that technology has gotten a hold of Gen Z and is controlling them. This does not apply to all Gen Z-ers. Technology can also be useful in the modern world and many are setting up social media platforms and making a job out of it.
There has been an increase in social media jobs during the past years with companies starting their own as well. Social media has had a positive impact on Gen Z –becoming influencers andbeing happy with it.
Social media is a place for Gen Z to post what they are passionate about. Posting photos if they’re a photographer, paintings if they are an artist and a bracelet for their jewelry business.
Posting on social media away from the competitive work environment, free from bosses who overwork you, and don’t even pay well is not doing well for Gen Z, so posting on social media is a safe space for people in Gen Z to be who they are and pursue their freedoms.
Many of us Gen Z are discontented and feel lonely and depressed in the workplace and we don’t even get any help with all of the comments about us being so lazy. I encourage the older generations to be nicer to us and maybe help us change the workplace to be more friendly.
We should be getting paid more in the workplace so that we can afford rent, and for goodness sake, necessities like food! All the generations should be helping each other in the workforce and not trying to drag each other down in the workplace.
Not only should we be trying to help each other in the workplace, but just also in general and in the world and society. Tearing down the stereotypes of the generations will help us be more unified and more understanding towards each other.
Older generations should stop calling Gen Z lazy. All we are trying to do is try our best and live on the very competitive corporate ladder. But sometimes trying our best just doesn’t work. With the crazy prices, we are just trying to work so that we can afford our rent. Understandably, the older generations were raised strictly which explains their “no complaining” attitude, but this is the modern day. Now, workers aren’t afraid to express their distress about their work. If no one speaks up, nothing will change.