December letter from the Editors

Terina gets bullied by kids
++%3F+Seras+Top+Photo%3A+December++%3F%0AStudents+gathered+at+a+crosswalk+during+a+walkout+held+to+show+solidarity+with+the+residents+of+Palestine+in+regards+to+the+Israel-Palestine+conflict+on+Nov.+21st.
©HAWKEYE image credit: Seras Bryner

? Seras’ Top Photo: December ?

Students gathered at a crosswalk during a walkout held to show solidarity with the residents of Palestine in regards to the Israel-Palestine conflict on Nov. 21st.

It’s no surprise that most articles coming out recently are related to the holidays. But as much as I would love to talk about how much I adore Christmas for the next 800 words, I feel like that would be a bit overkill.
I should preface this article by clarifying that I love my family. I love my cousins, my aunts, uncles, and grandparents. With that being said, they all live entirely too far for me to see them every week like I’d want to. Because of this, the only time I’m 100% set to see them during the school year is over Thanksgiving and winter break.
This Thanksgiving break, I spent most of it with my family in Auburn. What was I doing? Being bullied by middle schoolers.
For reference, I’m from a small island in the pacific – American Samoa. It’s beautiful and there’s a movie about our soccer team that was absolutely horrible (the soccer team, not the movie). Anyways, Samoans are known to be very athletic and tall/strong, which is kind of a stereotype but I digress. My cousins fit into that description completely. Now, imagine my surprise when I visit my family and two of my middle school-age cousins (11 and 13) are the same height and taller than me.
I don’t think I really knew fear before I walked into my grandparent’s house for Christmas in 2019 and was met by a 5’11 ten-year-old. That being said, I also don’t remember how old he is exactly, so I’m assuming right now.
Besides that, said cousin is also now over 6 feet tall and built completely for football and basketball. With that description of him in mind, I’d also like you to imagine the same boy running away from his cousin who’s about seven inches shorter than him. It’s really funny to watch, especially when you’re in the “shorter” cousin role.
Another thing that has to do with this topic; what in the world is going on with Generation Alpha? I know I might sound like a 61-year-old honors English teacher, but seriously I do not understand them. Understanding the fact that Gen Z is “so lazy” and “want to cancel everything,” but have you ever attempted to have a conversation with someone that’s in the next one [generation]? No? Well, lucky-freaking-you.
One of my youngest cousins is an absolute sweetheart. He wouldn’t genuinely hurt someone’s feelings, and I’m pretty sure he’s incapable of actually causing someone pain. So you can picture my face when we were just sitting around and he calls me a “yapper.” I’m not making this up at all. We were sitting next to each other and I was minding my own business, switching between TikToks and Instagram reels, and when I asked him a question he responded with, “Quit yapping, you yapper.”
What in the world does that even mean? No seriously, what does it mean, because I haven’t heard of anyone being called a “yapper” until maybe early November. I understand that I talk alot, but I don’t necessarily think that one sentence could be considered yapping. (That being said, I did tell Mr. DeMiero he was yapping less than a week later, but I have the belief that it was because I was influenced by my family.)
Another little snippet of my younger cousins being weird; if you’re on TikTok for any reason, you’ve most likely heard of a Gen Alpha cover of the song ‘ecstacy’ by SUICIDAL-IDOL (kind of an odd name, I also was confused when I searched up the song.) To preserve my self-dignity, I will not be sharing a lyric of the cover song, but I beg that you search it up before I continue.
Have you listened to the cover?
Okay, I’ll assume that you did. Anyways, for the sake of this story I will give the background that my family and I were in a church’s gym, and we were putting away the folded chairs that we were sitting in during the event. But while we were cleaning up, a group of my cousins (around ages of 8-10, I’m assuming) were running in a circle singing that song. There wasn’t anything wrong with what they were doing – I’m just telling the story because it makes me laugh whenever I think of it.
Now, there is no actual moral or important life lesson to take away from this article, but I hope that it encourages you, dear reader, to also share funny stories with Hawkeye. Some would consider this a shameless plug–myself included.
Happy holidays, Hawks! Or if you’re not a holiday person, have a great break.

Terina Papatu
Terina Papatu, Hawkeye Co-Editor-in-Chief
After joining in her freshman year (2021), Terina Papatu developed a love for all things journalism. She originally joined on accident to tell the truth, but as of her junior year she is Co-Editor-in-Chief. In the future, she plans to study reporter journalism and become a writer professionally, and currently loves to help her friends with their writing as well. When not working on Hawkeye, she loves listening to music and reports for Ground Zero Radio. This year, Terina plans to make HSM an inclusive space as well as being a representation she didn’t have before.
Seras Bryner
Seras Bryner, Hawkeye Co-Editor-in-Chief