Letter from the Editors: End of an era, start of a season

++%3F+Seras+Top+Photo++%3FEach+time+we+publish+a+new+issue+of+The+Hawkeye+%2C+I+will+share+one+of+my+favorite+photos+taken+in+this+space.+
©HAWKEYE image credit: Seras Bryner

? Seras’ Top Photo ?

Each time we publish a new issue of The Hawkeye , I will share one of my favorite photos taken in this space.

Why hello there, Hawks! You may be noticing that I am not Irish or Eritrean. I have locked the past co-editor in chiefs in room 130 where they will be stuck forever.

No, I’m joking, don’t worry, you silly gooses. Maggie and Cecilia are perfectly fine. But supposedly seniors have to graduate? And go out in the big world to do stuff. But now, my pal Seras Bryner, the fellow upcoming editor-in-chief, and I are here! 

With summer coming around, things are ending and starting. For example, school is ending, but the hellish atmosphere is just beginning. 

Listen, I’m as proud of people graduating as the next person. But you have to admit, seeing them all go out leaves a bittersweet feeling. Now, I need to preface these next 200 words by saying I’m extremely emotional, so if you’re reading this thinking, “What in the world is she talking about?” that completely makes sense! Nonetheless, I will be missing people. Now, I would name everyone I’ll miss the most, but that feels too lengthy, so I’m going to describe how I feel. Which is kind of corny, but who cares?

By Terina Papatu, The Hawkeye Co-Editor-In-Chief

I’m not a theater-oriented person, but over this school year, I have been very focused on it. The reality of all the seniors I’ve met in the theater program no longer being here in merely a week crashed on me, and I started crying. I had already made friends there, but it felt different being a cast member in this production instead of watching it or being a technician. It felt like a new setting for me, despite the fact that I’ve been in the MTHS theater many times. Being around these people every day felt different. 

On that note, it feels like a good time to get into nice things about summer and the school year ending. Swimming is an amazing thing, and while I love pools, they do me dirty time and time again. But you know what (almost) never does me wrong? Lakes! So, summer usually gives you the perfect time to swim.  

Finally, on a serious note, the year is quickly coming to an end, and while graduating is bittersweet, I want to wish all the seniors I’ve been lucky enough to meet a “Congratulations.” This is going to be repeated a lot in this issue, but class of 2023, you’ll do amazing no matter what you pursue.

Well, hello students of Terrace! What’s this? Why are there more than one or two editors-in-chief on this page? As you may or may not know, while Hawks Student Media (HSM) are the student producers of our beloved newspaper, the Hawkeye, we are also the producers of our school yearbook, the Tempo! This upcoming year, we’re doing our best to ensure that next year’s yearbook is well-made and on time before the summer! Due to a series of unfortunate events, the yearbook production has been rough for the past couple of years. But that changes now. 

So let me formally introduce ourselves, as your Tempo editors-in-chief. I, Arabella Devera, and the most wondrous Emmalee Harmon are delighted to take over the upcoming yearbook for 2023-2024. 

By Arabella Devera,
The Tempo. Co-Editor-In-Chief

Yearbook aside, the school year flew by yet again. And each time, there is always this sort of feeling – a little bit of accomplishment, some relief, and even nostalgia. Looking back, this year taught me a lot more about myself. My likes, dislikes, what works for me, what doesn’t, and what I’m truly passionate about. Figuring these things out required a lot of trying new things and getting out of my comfort zone. Some of those experiences included learning how important it is to take initiative and talk to people first, how to work with not-so-cooperative people, how to self-teach yourself Calculus III because the professor is a terrible teacher, dancing in front of the whole school for the fun of it even if you’ll embarrass yourself, and oh it goes on. Sometimes, well frankly oftentimes, I regret some of the commitments and choices I made, but then again, I don’t. It was those decisions that led me here today. So I say to you, to not regret but to keep moving on with your life, despite the frustrations. Don’t think about what you should’ve done, but focus on what you could do now. It’s this kind of mindset that’ll allow you to go forward in life. 

Now, on another note, I know our lovely Terina has talked about it so I’ll spare you any extra babble about summer. But I truly hope you all enjoy your summer. For the majority of students, they’ll still have a few summers left to go but for others, this is their last. So each year, make it a goal to have the best summer ever and don’t look back. 

Seras Bryner
Seras Bryner, Hawkeye Co-Editor-in-Chief
Terina Papatu
Terina Papatu, Hawkeye Co-Editor-in-Chief
After joining in her freshman year (2021), Terina Papatu developed a love for all things journalism. She originally joined on accident to tell the truth, but as of her junior year she is Co-Editor-in-Chief. In the future, she plans to study reporter journalism and become a writer professionally, and currently loves to help her friends with their writing as well. When not working on Hawkeye, she loves listening to music and reports for Ground Zero Radio. This year, Terina plans to make HSM an inclusive space as well as being a representation she didn’t have before.
Arabella Devera
Arabella Devera, Tempo Co-Editor-in-Chief
Tempo Co-Editor-in-Chief Arabella Devera is a senior at MTHS and joined HSM to pursue a variety of interests including design, photography, and writing. This year, she hopes to grow her skills in her field of interest and become more confident in her work. Arabella also strives to become more supportive and offer assistance to others when needed. In addition, she enjoys watching anime, reading webtoons, and playing RPGs.