Edmonds School District chooses model for 2020-2021 school year

The Edmonds School District (ESD) has chosen to move forward with the AA/BB hybrid model for the incoming 2020-2021 school year. Students will be divided into two groups, with each group attending school for in-person learning twice a week, while engaging in remote learning at home for the remaining three days.

“Students in Group A will attend school in person on Mondays and Tuesdays and then do remote learning Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Students in Group B will do remote learning Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays and then attend school in person on Thursdays and Fridays,” Superintendent Dr. Gustavo Balderas wrote in an eMail sent out to ESD families.

Wednesdays are set aside as professional development days, planning time for teachers, time for intervention and recovery learning services for students and for deep cleanings at each building in between cohorts.

In the event that the district or an individual building is expected to shut down due to a surge in COVID-19 infections, the ESD is also planning for Continuous Learning 2.0, a plan that would transition students and staff into full remote learning. This plan will implement community feedback obtained in late spring, after the initial school closures.

In addition, students in pre-K through first grade may be able to attend school for in-person learning for four days of the week, provided that social distancing guidelines can be met. The ESD’s special education work group is also looking to add time spent at school for students whose learning primarily revolves around an in-person, special education setting. 

The ESD has 22 work groups with students, staff and community members to provide input on the process of reopening schools in the fall. In the days to come, the ESD plans to hold webinars to get more feedback from community members throughout the district.

“We are listening to our students, families and staff and community partners. Thank you for being actively engaged in this planning process! We know that hybrid plans are stressful for families with many unknowns still ahead, but we hope to answer many questions together in the weeks ahead,” Dr. Balderas wrote.