Local election results disrupt status quo

On Tuesday, Nov. 5, the Washington State General Election was held. The most important effect for the Edmonds School District was the election of three School Board members. Carin Chase and Gary Noble both won re-election, and Nancy Katims was elected to the position vacated by board president Diana White. 

Chase claims she is committed to fostering a public education system that rewards excellent teachers while Noble pledges to improve student achievement by advancing equitable learning environments. Katims promises to restore an energetic focus on helping students of all backgrounds achieve their full potential. 

Additionally, Initiative 976, which limits motor vehicle taxes and fees, has been approved. With the initiative’s passing, annual license fees for vehicles weighing under 10,000 pounds will be set at a flat rate of $30, except for additional voter-approved charges. Any further car tab charges must be based on the Kelley Blue Book evaluation of motor vehicle values. The initiative also revokes authorization for certain regional transit authorities, such as Sound Transit, to impose motor vehicle excise taxes to support projects such as link light rail. 

Referendum 88 was narrowly rejected by voters, which means that Initiative 1000 passed by the Washington legislature in April will not go into effect. The defeat ensures that the state’s 20 year ban on the use of affirmative action in public employment, contracting and education will be retained.