Mr. Schwab’s Column

I can’t believe that we are already 9 weeks into the school year and that the Holidays are fast approaching.  As I write this, Thanksgiving is a week away and then it’s a short trip to Winter Break.  During this time of year, I often find myself reflecting on what I’d like to see in my world and since my world mostly consists of life here at MTHS, the things that I most want for the holidays are these:

One: To those anonymous students who consistently put their red lunch trays in the garbage cans, please stop.  We have carts where they go when you are done eating lunch.

Two: Do your homework and turn it in when it is due.  I realize this sounds like a no-brainer, but among the reasons that students don’t do well in school, not doing daily work and/or not turning it in are major reasons.

Three: Attend your classes each day.  Another simple request, I know.  But, just like not doing homework will affect your grade negatively, so will not going to class at all.  Your teachers will know you care if you come to class each day.

Four: Treat each other with kindness and respect.  There has been much attention paid this year to the topic of bullying and harassment.  The fact is this: we all need each other from time to time.  We all need someone to smile at us or say “hello” when we’re having a bad day.  It doesn’t cost anything, it won’t hurt anyone and you never know the impact that these simple gestures of kindness will have on others.

Five: Find a way to be involved in our school.  Join a club, go out for a sport, try out for the play, and write a letter to the Hawkeye.  Students who are involved and connected to their school, get better grades and report having a much better school experience.

Six: Be safe this Holiday Season and beyond.  Every one of us is an important person to many people.  Parents, grandparents, friends, teachers.  We all have an incredibly large sphere of influence—those people whose lives we impact simply by the relationships we have with them.  Please keep that in mind when you are making choices about activities to participate in with your friends.  Do not do anything that puts you or your friends in a situation that could turn out badly.

I want to wish each and every one of you a safe and happy holiday season.  Like we used to say to each other in grade school, see you next year!