Community forum for three principal finalists

Updated: Tuesday, June 13 at 7:05 p.m.

After the announcement of Principal Greg Schwab being hired as the Edmonds School District’s  Assistant Superintendent —beginning next school year— many interviews have went underway.

Teachers and school staff have submitted their questions to be asked during interviews, applicants have sent in their resumes, initial interviews have been conducted, top picks have been chosen and it’s time for the community to have a say.

The three principal finalists are local applicants Ray Houser, Peter Schurke and Stephen Shurtleff.

Houser currently works for the Marysville School District (MSD) as the Executive Director of Assessment and Student Service Department (ASSD).

The MSD ASSD is in charge of managing the state and district testing programs and providing information to further evaluate district programs.

Houser is also a candidate to be the Superintendent of North Kitsap School District.

Schurke is well known around MTHS because of his role —since 2011— as assistant principal and current advisor for Rocketry Club.

He is very involved in STEM, earning the Washington State Air Force Association Teacher of the Year award in 2011, and later being named the 2012 National Aerospace Teacher of the Year award.

Shurtleff is currently employed as an assistant principal at Kamiak High School in the Mukilteo School District. At Kamiak he has focused on developing teacher and student leadership. While in Mukilteo, he also served on several district-wide committees, including technology advisory, research and evaluation, and student rights and responsibilities – a group he chaired. 

The three will all attend a community forum in the MTHS theater on Tuesday, June 13 at 6:30 p.m. and everyone is encouraged to come and meet the finalists. Those who attend will be able to have their questions answered, as well as provide written feedback on the three finalists.

Note: In a previous edition of this story, some information about Stephen Shurtleff was presented in a manner that was unclear. That information has been removed from the story. The Hawkeye regrets the error.