Hawks defeat Lynnwood 2-1 on the pitch

©HAWKEYE image credit: Jack Fiorillo
Senior midfielder Allison Lorraine battles a Royal player for the ball.

Tuesday night, the Hawks women’s soccer team defeated the Lynnwood High school Royals 2-1 in an 80 minute dog fight. Senior midfielder Riley Zucker and senior midfielder Lily Hart had exceptional games, both scoring one goal and one assist.

The Hawks started off cold in the first half, but Senior forward Lily Hart broke that by scoring a goal fifty minutes into the game.

“We have a problem with starting slow,” head coach Evan Hatch said. “At half time they had to recognize that they were running out of time to win the game.”

This  realization of the lack of time sparked something in the Hawks.

The second half started off stronger for the Hawks, with multiple shots on goal. Nine minutes into the second half, the Royals scored a goal tying the game 1-1. Tension rose as the clock started to run out.

The game was back and forth until Zucker scored an exciting goal with two minutes before stoppage time.

“This is a team that we should’ve beat from the start,” Zucker said. “In the second half getting that goal made us feel up and ready to win.”

The Hawks have had an impressive start to the season, with a league record of 3-0-1, despite losing some key players. The Hawks will have a tough next game against the Shorecrest Highlanders.

“Since I’ve been a coach we have never beat them,” Hatch said. “We’ll need to play a full 80 minutes in order to beat teams like Shorecrest.”

The Hawks play Shorecrest at Shoreline Stadium, on Thursday, Oct. 2 at 7:00 pm. The Hawks need to be ready to play the number one team in Wesco.