Hawks stomp on Shorewood Thunderbirds 49-21

Senior fullback Malcom Johnson stiff arms a Shorewood player.

Last Friday night the Hawks blew out the Shorewood Thunderbirds 49-21 at Edmonds Stadium. It was the Hawks second victory of the season and first conference victory.

Originally off to a slow start and leading just 7-6 at the end of the first quarter, Malcolm Johnsonand Ryan LaCasse, senior running backs, once again were the core of the Hawks absolutely dominating performance.

Johnson rushed for 214 yards and two touchdowns, running through, around, and over defenders. LaCasse added 88 yards and two touchdowns of his own. Both have made it clear to the rest of WesCo that the Hawks will have a formidable run game either through old-fashioned power football with Smith running up the middle or using LaCasse’s speed to the outside to make big gains as the Hawks march the ball down the field.

Also coming as a slight surprise was the Hawks’ liberal use of the passing game against the Thunderbirds. Senior quarterback Justin Hopkins completed several key passes including a touchdown pass into triple coverage to senior tight end Austin Bates. Also making receptions were wide receivers Daniel Johnson and Gabe Brady, who each made major defensive plays of their own.

Defense was also at the heart of the Hawks’ victory as they held the Thunderbirds to just six points until the fourth quarter, long after victory had been sealed. The Hawks came out punishing the Thunderbirds for every yard they earned. The defensive line consistently put pressure in the Shorewood backfield and the secondary forced touch receptions on the Thunderbird receivers.

With the victory the Hawks have outscored opponents 79-68 and move to 2-1 overall and 1-1 in league play. They take on the Edmonds-Woodway Warriors at 8 PM at Edmonds Stadium next Friday, Sep. 26.