Preview: Cheer to compete at state competition Saturday

The Terrace cheer team has had a busy year so far. They’ve had their usual Friday night football games and their basketball games that they cheer at, but this year the cheer team has taken it to a whole new level.

Starting back in November, four of the senior girls, Brittany Kinsella, Samantha Meadows, Sarah Smith and Marissa Mason, joined over 8,000 other cheerleaders from the country and went to New York to cheer with the Spirit of America in the 87th annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Soon after, the cheer team decided to enter in cheer competitions for the first time in school history.

In 6 weeks time, from competition to competition, the team improved, and their scores showed that. Going from 39 in their first competition, to 41, and then to 65 (all scores are out of 100) in their last competition which sent them to the state competition.

“It’s a lot of work and very dangerous but it’s worth it,” said senior cheer captain Brittany Kinsella. “The girls are amazing; all of our personalities are unique and different…we have become a huge family.”

Tomorrow, Saturday Feb. 1, the Terrace cheer squad will be competing in the state cheer competition at Alaska Airlines Arena, starting at 12:15 pm.