Fasting: Tips and tricks for a more balanced diet

In today’s world, with image being very important, seven out of 10 teenagers and young adults are concerned about their health and weight.

They try various diets – some of which may be harmful to the body and mental health – as a resolution to their physical appearance.

Screen shot 2013-03-18 at 4.45.22 PM

Studies by the Boston Medical Center indicate that approximately 45 million Americans go on a diet each year. In persuit of the “perfect” body, these 45 million Americans will spend $33 billion on weight loss products in their pursuit of a trimmer, fit body. However, less than 20 percent of these diets produce meaningful results.

Is there any way someone can live a healthier lifestyle without spending a whole lot of money, energy and time? The answer to this question is yes, there is!

Instead of spending money on diet foods, a simple yet effective way to achieve a balanced lifestyle is to eat a healthy diet.

In order to eat healthy, being able to get all the nutrition needed daily without overindulging is essential.

Some tips and tricks to eating healthier are eating four to five small meals throughout the day, as opposed to three large ones.

Try not to over obsess counting calories though. Instead, keep in mind two key things: freshness and having a variety of nutrients. Plan on eating a balanced amount of protein, vegetables, grains and good fats by separating the intake of nutrients through out each meal in the day.

Also, as usual, make sure to drink at least eight glasses of water a day or even one sip every 20 minutes to keep you alert and your mind alert.

Remember to get in some exercise. It’s not necessary to go to the gym for hours everyday, buy try to fit in a daily walk or run.

Another important thing to remember is to eat with moderation. By thinking of some foods as off limits will help keep your mind on the end result. Try and swap these out with healthier alternatives such as snacking on snap peas or celery with peanut butter. Remember though, it’s okay to occasionally have a slice of pizza or cake, just avoid overindulging; it leads to a guilty conscious.