Don’t settle for unhealthy food

Having to worry about homework and studying for finals seems to take up too much time out of our daily lives, but with summer well on the way, all those worries will be set aside for the time being.

For most teens with a full schedule on their hands, setting aside time for little healthy choices can seem like too much, but with these simple tips and tricks, you’ll feel both good about yourself emotionally and physically.

Instead of wasting those minutes on the computer, watching TV and procrastinating, there are small things that can be done to benefit a person’s health.

While sitting down on the sofa watching TV, during those long and agonizing commercials, make a stop forward in the right direction by making a healthy snack. The snack could be along the lines of cut up apples with almond butter or grabbing some organic fruits or vegetables  would be a reliable source of protein.

Eating a variety of nutrient-rich foods such as fresh or dried fruit, nuts, cheese and multi-grains are important because they give people most minerals and other nutrients that are needed in your daily intake.

According to the University of Texas at Austin’s Health Services, aiming for about three meals a day and having two or three snacks in between is very reasonable.

It’s good to eat in moderation, so it is important to read the nutrition labels and follow the serving sizes as specified. Eating frequent amounts of food in small portions  is much better than eating until feeling sick.

An easy effort that can be made is to avoid packaged and processed foods. Eating organic is also another easy, healthy option. Organic foods are high in antioxidants, calcium, iron and magnesium.

Organic foods are traditionally grown and do not contain pesticides nor preservatives.

An easy substitution is replacing a cup of soda or coffee with a tall glass of iced water. Drinking water helps flush out toxins, burn fat, build muscle, and is a healthier energy in substitution to drinking energy drinks or having coffee.

The ice in the water also helps boosts up your metabolism which also helps with a healthier weight loss.

“Your body needs certain nutrients to feel well as you go through each day,” according to BetterHealthUSA.com.

Small changes can make a big difference. Some ways to develop a healthy attitude towards food are to avoid eating while stressed, eating slowly, make time each day to eat your meals at the same time each and every day, eating a variety of foods according to the food pyramid, and picking low fat options.

With summer on the way, there will be more time to make healthier food choices as well as adding in some exercise to have a balanced and healthy diet.