Prom Do’s and Dont’s

The senior class of 2012 is gearing up for the last dance of their high school career, prom. Students and teachers spend quite a bit of time arranging this dance; everything needs to be perfect right down to the colored streamers, music, and other decorations. Do you find yourself getting nervous as the date draws closer? Are you worried something may go wrong? Well, let us look into some do’s and don’ts of the ever-famous senior prom.

Prom Do’s:

• Do set a budget for prom and stick to it. Between the clothes, limo and all the extras that go along with prom, you can easily spend a small fortune. Make plans ahead of time. Get friends to go in on costs. Shop around ahead of time to get the best deals. You don’t need to spend a huge amount of money for one night when you have the rest of your life ahead of you.
  • Do brainstorm with your friends to get ideas for things to do before and after prom. Another good way is to research the internet for prom ideas and fun things to do.
  • Do use a prom check list to make sure you are prepared. Being organized and prepared will reduce stress and worry. You will be able to enjoy everything about prom.
  • Do talk to your parents beforehand to make sure there are no surprises for either of you on prom night. Let your parents know what your plans are and set check in times so they know you are alright. It is a good idea to give your parents an itinerary so they know exactly where you are all night and/or weekend, if you have other events planned. You don’t want to lose their trust and respect because of the events of one night, so be honest.
  • Go with people you’ll have a good time with. Whether that’s a good friend or a group of girlfriends, be with the ones you’ll feel comfortable with, and can share laughs with. Then, you’ll have the best evening ever.
  • Be sure to dress comfortably. Wear dresses you can dance in, and shoes that won’t pinch your toes for the rest of the night. No one wants to be uncomfortable during this night; it is the time to relax and have fun.
  • Be prepared for emergencies. Take extra money along, take a camera with you to capture pictures, bring your cell phone, and take care of your belongings. You might want to include an emergency repair kit for anything that may come apart.
  • Do have fun and enjoy yourself. After all, you deserve to be at the prom. You survived four years of high school and now this prom is the last dance of your high school day, let loose and dance yourself right out of your heels!

Prom Don’ts:

• Do not go with someone just for the sake of going with someone. It’s not a must that you go with a date. You can have as much fun with your friends.
  • If you are going with a date, do not forget your date’s boutonniere, and be sure you have both agreed on the color, as you do not want to show up not matching.
  • Do not allow drama to mess up your big night. Put all disagreements and arguments aside for the night. Remember, this is the time to celebrate, not fight.
  • Do not forget to thank your date or friends for attending the prom with you at the end of the night. This lets them know you appreciated their company and that you had a good time.
  • Don’t do anything you will regret later. Don’t use prom night as a reason to do something you know is wrong. Keep it safe so your night to remember does not become a night that you want to forget.

Following these few do’s and don’ts for your prom can make a difference. Whether you follow all these steps or just a few, the main idea is to have the best night of your life. Celebrating the end of high school is a great achievement, have fun.