Hawks 411- AnhViet Nguyen Column Issue 5

This year’s men’s basketball team is special and it is evident to anybody who has seen them play. With a near perfect run through the regular season, the team seems unbeatable heading into the postseason.

There are a couple of things that stand out to me when they play: teamwork and attitude.

No team in the state works together as well as Terrace does. All the guys can contribute and the result is a seamless offense and an impenetrable defense that is downright scary for other teams.

Good things don’t happen if you don’t have the right mindset and attitude. At the beginning of the season, the “Road to Dome” saying was born, giving the team a tangible goal. So far, the team hasn’t lifted its foot off the gas pedal.

Yes, the team has very talented basketball players. However, they are genuinely good people, too. Over the years, I’ve had the opportunity to get to know some of the guys and I see them, first and foremost, as outstanding people. That’s what makes them even easier to root for.

The playoffs start this week and hopefully, by the time I write my next column, we’ll be celebrating a state championship.

Speaking of good teams, the drama department’s musical “All Shook Up” was a showcase of all-around talent. Despite the mid-January snowstorm, they were still able to turn in some great performances that sold out the theater on multiple nights. It amazes me at how such a large group of people can stay on the same page because it takes immense dedication and commitment to pull a production like that off.

Imagine this: a school that works together where people pick each other up, instead of putting each other down; a school where people are genuinely concerned for the well-being of others; and a school where people are dedicated and committed to whatever their passion may be.

All it takes is a small contribution from each person to turn something good into something great. How are you going to make today a better day for someone else?

With fewer than 100 school days remaining on the calendar, it seems like the school year is flying by, especially for my fellow Big ASB officers and I. In fact, it’s gone by so quickly that elections for next year’s Big ASB are already underway. Petitions are available if you are interested. If you have any questions about elections, the positions, the commitment or anything else that crosses your mind, feel free to ask anyone of us in Big 6.

A couple more quick ASB announcements: Tolo is this Friday, Feb. 10 in the HUB from 9 p.m. to midnight. Terrace Idol is on Feb. 8 and Feb. 15 in the theater.

It has been an exciting start to the school year and second semester figures to be just as exciting.