Hawks defense tightens up in win at Shorecrest

Despite trailing for the entire first quarter of tonight’s game, the Hawks never looked like they weren’t in control at a packed Shorecrest gym and in front of a Comcast television audience. The Hawks remained undefeated with a gutty 47-31 victory that was once again won on the defensive end of the floor.

Junior guard Marquis Armstead usually draws the toughest defensive assignments for the Hawks. And sometimes – like in the first half  tonight – that impacts his offensive game. Armstead drew the Scot’s top scorer, 6 foot 6 inch senior Emmanuel Chibuogwu Jr. and held him in check.

But, the Hawks play team defense and have a roster full of guys who know how to play tough, hard-nosed “D.” So, when Armstead and the Hawks came out of the locker room at halftime with just a two-point lead, it was senior post Ryan Shannon who was guarding Chibuogwu. Armstead promptly lit up the Scots with two devastating treys. By the time Shorecrest coach Brian Fischer could call a timeout, his club was down by eight and would never recover.

Yes, Terrace trailed 13-11 after the first quarter, but the Hawks had the momentum and had solved Shorecrest’s offensive game plan. Terrace would not allow the Scots to score in double figures in any other quarter.

In fact, the Hawks have kept that amazing streak alive throughout this entire season: No opponent has made it through a game without being held to single digits in at least one quarter of the game. Defense like that usually wins games and the Hawks are now 14-0 overall and 10-0 in WesCo 3A.

Guard Blake Fernandez led the Hawks and all scorers with 17. Armstead finished with 16. Posts Greg Bowman and Coby Russell along with guard Jesse Zerom each added four points apiece and Shannon had two.

The Hawks travel to Shorewood on Tuesday to face the T-Birds before returning to the Terraceum for an unusual Thursday night game against Marysville-Getchell.

At Shorecrest:

Mountlake Terrace – 11 09 10 17 – 47
Shorecrest – 13 05 09 04 – 31

Hawks: Jesse Zerom 4, Andrew Moisant 0, Blake Fernandez 17, Ryan Shannon 2, Marquis Armstead 16, Greg Bowman 4, Eric Moisant 0, Lauren LaCasse 0, Coby Russell 4.

Scots: Conin Oishi 3, Ryan Canfield 2, Trevor McCoy 2, Liam O’Neill 2, Emmanuel Chibuogwu Jr. 11, Keith Shattuck 11, Alex Horning 0, Zach Lawson 0, Max Nelson 0, Masamba Njadoe 0, Dylan Pontrello 0.