AnhViet Nguyen Column Issue 4

Winter break is almost here! We are a few weeks away from our two week hiatus and it is time to end 2011 on a strong note. That means it is time to make some New Year’s resolutions.

Maybe you to want to go to the gym more often. Maybe you want to spend more time with family and friends. Maybe you want to learn a new skill (cooking, playing a musical instrument, speak a new language, etc.). Well, you should also consider recommitting yourself to your academic goals as well. Finishing strong at the end of semester will feel good and will lead right into second semester. There aren’t many things that are more satisfying than accomplishing goals that you set for yourself, no matter how big or small.

Most importantly, spend as much time with family and friends as possible, enjoy the days off from school and maybe go to some Terrace basketball games. Also, out to the newly formed Rowdy Rooters for pumping up the athletes and getting in the heads of opposing players. They’re always looking for new faces to join them.

Speaking of basketball, the boy’s team is off to a great start and the girl’s team continues to be competitive. Don’t forget about the other winter sports teams though. Both the wrestling and boy’s swim team have some individuals this year who could reach the postseason.

After the break, there are a lot of different events going on. Cultural week is happening the drama department is putting on its musical, All Shook Up. Please check the calendar on the school website for exact dates and times.

I have got to admit, November was a crazy month and you know what? It was worth it. The PPP trophy is back in the hands of the rightful owners. We stepped up this year by bringing in canned food, showing other people that we can skillfully use plungers and pounding them out on the basketball court. Thank you Interhigh members for organizing and coordinating events all month. Also, thank you to everyone who contributed to the food drive because it is nice to see so many students helping other people in our community.

This year, we implemented a new way of running the food drive with a single elimination tournament called Munch Madness. Apparently, that did not stop Mrs. Nelson from winning the food drive again. Congratulations Mrs. Nelson and your third period class on your impressive total number of cans collected. Thank to all of the teachers who motivated your students to bring in cans and donations. Don’t worry, there is always next year.

One last announcement. Big ASB officer petitions (not class ASB) will be available in January. Start thinking about that because it might be an opportunity you may want to consider.

Okay, I need to go write down my own New Year’s resolutions.