STEM Hawks earn state awards

Senior Kien Trung accepts the first place award for structures at the TSA state convention.
©HAWKEYE image credit: David Cardwell

This past week three of Terrace’s major STEM clubs, Technology Student Association (TSA), Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA), and FIRST Robotics (FRC) competed across the state bringing home plaques and honor to Terrace’s STEM Department.
Mountlake Terrace High School TSA, the biggest chapter in the state with more than 100 students, competed in state this past week. The group is advised by chemistry teacher Mark Burbank and engineering teacher James Wilson. For four days students in the club submitted and competed in all sorts of events from building bridges to sewing dresses in Seattle.

MTHS HOSA, increasing their membership every year since 2021, brought around 80 kids to Spokane for the state conference advised by biotechnology teacher Jamie Wollan. This club competes in competitions ranging from laboratory skills to forensics in the health occupation.

Mountlake Terrace’s FRC team, Chill Out, once again took second place in the finals at Bonney Lake as they faced off against powerhouse schools like Jackson High school’s Jack-in-the-Bot. This follows their second place finish at their Glacier Peak district event finals against Jack-in-the-Bot’s alliance. Both teams will face off again at the PNW district championship in Portland on April 3, 2024.

Team photo with award after Glacier Peak competition. (©HAWKEYE image credit: FRC Club)