All male administration overlooks female students

This year, the start of the school year also meant the hiring of a new male administrator. Last year we said “Farewell and good luck” to Erin Murphy, who was an assistant principal, as she left to take the principal position at Alderwood Middle School. This has left MTHS with an all-male administration staff.

Since Murphy’s departure, some female students have found a concern that has left them with questions like these; what female administrator can we talk to about personal problems, like sexual harassment, and how can we talk to a guy about feminine issues?

If girls do have problems, we now have nobody to talk to. Yes, we do have the school’s psychiatrist or teachers, but we don’t have an administrator to talk to. An administrator would be able to put a stop to the problem, or help us somehow a lot sooner than a teacher could. If we talk to a teacher or some other person on MTHS staff, then there are even more people that they have to go through to get something done about the problem.

If we had an assistant principal or somebody with more power on the MTHS staff, then she could talk to the school board if the problem is that big, or she might be able to help us because she would have a higher position of authority that could benefit our problems.

But female teachers might also find it rather awkward to talk to a male administrator about a problem. Yes, the staff is very nice and willing to help, but some girls are not comfortable talking to a male administrator.

Principal Greg Schwab, and assistant principals Scott Morrison and Peter Schurke are always there to help, but that’s not the point. It’s great that they are there to talk to, but it’s uncomfortable to talk about something that a woman would better understand than a man. Even though they are nice, they can be a little intimidating to talk to.