A class of 2020 graduate pulls up to the school as they step out for their photo with principal Greg Schellenberg.

Class of 2020 participates in first virtual graduation

June 12, 2020

Nearly 300 members of the class of 2020 participated in the filming of MTHS’s first ever virtual graduation ceremony on June 3. In order to comply with the social distancing requirements set by the state, the Edmonds School District hired Life N Light, an Everett-based photo/video company that was tasked with creating a virtual graduation to be viewed by families at 10 a.m.  Saturday, June 13, the originally scheduled graduation date. 

Before the procession of cars began flowing through the Terrace parking lot, student speakers Nolan DeGarlais, Ciara Laney, Morgan McCraney and Amy Harris, as well as principal Greg Schellenberg, were recorded as they gave their commencement speeches standing at the lectern set up on the temporary stage in front of the school.

Being involved in sports, clubs, activities and performances has been absolutely amazing, and I’m going to miss that.

— Sarah Acheson

Then, at around 10:00 a.m., the decorated cars began driving in, with families cheering on the graduates. The graduates started at the back of the school, where they received their honor cords. Then, they drove to the front of the school, where Schellenberg waited at the end of a red carpet walkway to congratulate each student and hand them their diploma cover. 

Scarlet diploma cover in hand, the graduates then proceeded to walk onto the stage, where Life N Light and Hawkeye/TEMPO photographers took pictures. After that, they continued on with the red carpet experience – many choosing to be interviewed by reporters from Hawkeye and HBN. With several supportive staff waiting to cheer them on along the side of Hawk Way, the seniors headed toward their final stop – a surprise from the Booster Club.

Thanks to the parent boosters, as the graduates got in their cars and drove toward 44th Avenue, they were handed a gift bag with treats, a mask and a class of 2020 mug.

As the seniors got ready to graduate, there were a mix of emotions. Some were ready to move on to the next phase of their lives, but others felt more sorrowful about the experience.

“Being involved in sports, clubs, activities and performances has been absolutely amazing, and I’m going to miss that,” Sarah Acheson said.

For some graduates, this day was a reminder of where they started in high school. McKenna Mortensen said she remembers being a super shy student when she started at MTHS in her freshman year.

“But then, I was able to give it my all, and I got to serve the community through ASB, and those are some of my favorite memories” she said.

Photo of Ritika Khanal
Ritika Khanal, Co-Editor-In-Chief

Co-Editor-in-Chief Ritika Khanal is in her senior year of high school and is a fourth year staff member of the Hawkeye. This year, she hopes to broaden her skills as a journalist and help tell the stories of those in the community whose voices are rarely heard. Ritika aspires  to become a mentor to other Hawkeye staff and help them discover their talents and passions, just as former editors did for her. Under her leadership, she hopes that the publication will continue to shine as one of the best...

The Hawkeye • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in