Individual Choice is Critical

Without pro-choice policies, the government would be making the choice for you

I grew up in a small city called Hastings, Minnesota. Every other block had a church, all different sects like Catholic, Lutheran and others, everyone did the same routine. Sundays were for the church service and Wednesdays were for Bible study.  My friends and I went to the same church so we would often go together.

One thing that was always difficult to understand was the meaning of the religion, or in simpler terms, the meaning of religion as a whole. I felt more pressured to believe in God than it was my own opinion. I couldn’t wrap my brain around the fact I was supposed to believe a book written thousands of years ago. Let alone believe that the people in the Bible like Adam and Eve were actually physically on Earth.

When I was 12 years old my family moved to Seattle, and it was here when I started to develop my own opinions. It was a little weird at first because I wasn’t used to different ethnic groups being in the same school, as the majority of my previous school was caucasian.

Many people grow up in a setting where they need to fit a certain mold to fit in and blend with the crowd. For example, if you aren’t completely left-wing liberal in Seattle you’re judged by other people to not being open to ideas, or if you don’t go to church every Sunday in Minnesota, you’re seen by the rest of the community as a sinner and that you’re destined for damnation.

After 12 years of living in a city where I had no freedom to believe in what I choose, I realized that I’m capable of forming my own opinions and establishing my own views. I began to realize that I am an Atheist.

The environment I was raised in catered towards me having the beliefs I do today. I don’t believe that forcing your child to go to church every Sunday at an age where they don’t understand and can’t choose what they are singing, who they are praying to and what they are praying about. Everyone has a choice whether they want to believe in God or be an Atheist.

I’m currently 16, and I’m afraid of the future and what could happen. I don’t know where I want to go to college. I have no idea what I want to be when I’m older. All I know is right now, being pregnant and having a child is the absolute last dot on my list. In my opinion, being pregnant comes with multiple complications, especially at such a young age.

As teenagers, we are extremely horny and have an urge to discover specific things that are appealing to us. Appealing as in exploring another person you have sexual tension for and not preventing yourself from moving forward.

There is accidental pregnancies that happen whether it’s the girls choice or not. Having sex at a young age is dangerous and risky, and only having faith in a condom and a pregnancy pill is not the best. Especially when someone has sex without a condom but they’re on the pill, that’s even more dangerous.

What I said earlier still applies, everyone has a choice in what they want to do with their life. There are teenagers who want to have a baby and I am all for it because they’re making a decision they’ll love. Being happy is important, having unhappy people never turns out good.

I also believe that after three months of being pregnant, which is after the first trimester, you should not have an abortion. This is only because after three months, the baby fully starts developing.

The brain begins developing and after that point I believe that you’re killing a living human. Which is extreme, but if the baby is developing a brain it’s already becoming human.

I also believe if having a baby will harm the women, like risking her life or the baby’s, then having a baby at that point is not worth it. I understand that some people say you should have the baby anyways because it’s newborn and will last longer but in some ways I believe you shouldn’t.

Everyone has a choice on if they want to continue having a baby and I know that for other people, like people who are pro life, having a baby is a must.

Most pro life people make me want to roll my eyes because they take it so seriously. Especially when the people get involved in the person who is pregnant business.

If you don’t want to have a baby for your whole life, good for you and you should follow through and not feel pressured to have a baby.

A lot of my points on why I believe in pro choice aren’t fully developed and I can’t convince you to be pro choice because it is your choice, just like how it is my choice.

Personally, I don’t want to have the pressure of having a baby pushed upon me, I don’t want to have a baby if it’s going to kill me and I definitely don’t want to have the baby if it will die.

I’m a very emotional person, and if the baby were to die I’d be devastated, having an abortion would do the same thing, but I would make sure to have an abortion before three months.

Life is crazy and no one wants to follow through with something they don’t want to do. You just have to live life the way you want, making your own choices, and hope for the best.